Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Install Issues

I am trying to install OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6 on a Mid-2007 iMac 24". The HD crashed and I have installed a new drive and formatted the drive. I have created a USB Boot installer drive with the installer, but I cannot get the installer to complete. It comes back with the following message (see attached screen shot) - "OSX could not be installed. No packages were eligible for install." I have also tried installing directly connected to the web via an Ethernet connection with the same result. I would like to do a clean install as I want to give this iMac to a friend.

Also, I have been able to clone a backup of the system (before the drive crashed) to the new internal drive using CCC with no problem, but I prefer to give the machine away with just the base OSX El Capitan.

I should mention that this iMac will not start from sleep mode. This happened long (8 years) ago after the power supply board died and was replaced. When I installed the new internal HD, I replaced in the lithium backup cell. The PRAM setting all appear to be fine and are remembered as expected.

Any ideas?

Note the available device list did not have older iMac's listed. Mine is not a later model!

Howard Kaplan

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 12:54 PM

Hi Howard...

If you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4

If macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later was never installed on your Mac, macOS Recovery works differently:

• Command-R is still the recommended way to start up from macOS Recovery. This combination makes sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID, which is important if you're selling or giving away your Mac.

• Option-Command-R installs the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

• Shift-Option-Command-R isn't available.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2020 12:54 PM in response to hkaplan131

Hi Howard...

If you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4

If macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later was never installed on your Mac, macOS Recovery works differently:

• Command-R is still the recommended way to start up from macOS Recovery. This combination makes sure that the installation isn't associated with your Apple ID, which is important if you're selling or giving away your Mac.

• Option-Command-R installs the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

• Shift-Option-Command-R isn't available.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Feb 4, 2020 7:28 AM in response to BDAqua

My iMac is mid-2007. The highest allowable OSX is El Capitan. Your suggestion is appreciated, but Sierra is not an option.

I found other responses related to this issue suggesting my System Clock may not be correct and to use the "date" function of Terminal to set it, but the date is correct and setting it made no change. I still cannot get OSX El Capitan to install on my newly formatted drive, but I can get a clone of the last CCC backup to install and operate.

As I stated in my post, I prefer to have a clean install before I give the iMac away.

Howard

OSX Install Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.