Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac Mini audio input

How do I record guitars and vocals from my Focusrite interface on the new Mac mini now that the 3.5mm mini jack has disappeared? I've tried two different Mini jack to thunderbolt adapters now. There doesn't seem to be any accurate, reliable, definitive information regarding this issue? Apple sell this adapter, does anyone know if this works? Apple sell this adaptor Apple USB-C to 3.5mm Audio Jack / Headphones Adapter. Does anyone know if you input audio with this?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 8:03 PM

elijah2015 wrote:

How do I record guitars and vocals from my Focusrite interface on the new Mac mini now that the 3.5mm mini jack has disappeared? I've tried two different Mini jack to thunderbolt adapters now. There doesn't seem to be any accurate, reliable, definitive information regarding this issue? Apple sell this adapter, does anyone know if this works? Apple sell this adaptor Apple USB-C to 3.5mm Audio Jack / Headphones Adapter. Does anyone know if you input audio with this?

I understand the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm Audio Jack/Headphones Adapter to be an output device only–for headphones and speakers–not for audio input.

I suggest you are looking for something specifically marketed as being for audio (microphone or digital audio) input, as you will find if you search for "USB-C Audio Adapter with Microphone" on Amazon, for example.

There are many USB-C headphone/microphone adapters out there.

Digital audio input devices with DAC are available at substantially higher cost than the basic adapters.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2020 8:03 PM in response to elijah2015

elijah2015 wrote:

I understand the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm Audio Jack/Headphones Adapter to be an output device only–for headphones and speakers–not for audio input.

I suggest you are looking for something specifically marketed as being for audio (microphone or digital audio) input, as you will find if you search for "USB-C Audio Adapter with Microphone" on Amazon, for example.

There are many USB-C headphone/microphone adapters out there.

Digital audio input devices with DAC are available at substantially higher cost than the basic adapters.

New Mac Mini audio input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.