Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I connect Casio to Mac mini and record via Audacity (or GB)

Hi

Re: Connecting Casio CT-S300 to Mac mini (bot Mar' 23) and record via Audacity or GB.

First, does the Mac Mini's headphones support audio in?

Headphone to headphone ports: Mini not recognizing

Casio USB to Mini USB ports: Mini not recognizing

Neither Audacity nor GB recognized keyboard.

Any ideas?

royks

Mac mini, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 3:33 PM

Hi Royks, sure I have a few ideas… the headphone jack/socket may be strictly a headphone jack ( no mic) or if or does support a mic ( for audio input, it’ll be TRRS, 4 pole mic… Macs have never supported TRS mic’s without an adapter… so maybe get a USB audio adapter that supports TRRS for audio input… audacity does support usb audio for input, especially if you choose it in Audio Midi Setup or via Audacity’s built in menu:.: ( audio input/source/recording input)

here’s the specs for your Mac Mini: Mac mini (2023) - Technical Specifications (CA)

so there is no support for mic’s via the headphone jack, the headphone jack is for headphones only… so that leaves you with USB A or USB 3.1 Gen 2 as your choices… so get a usb -A/usb 3.1 gen 2 audio adapter/external sound card that supports trs+ TRRS for the mic input and works on Mac OS X and you should be good to go…Amazon has a few, both of the USB-A type and usb 3.1 gen 2( usb-c).. eg, this one has usb-c, works with Mac and supports trs mic’s, https://www.amazon.ca/Microphone-Adapter-Splitter-Compatible-Tablets,Laptop/dp/B0BXD69S3C/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=macbook%2Bmicrophone%2Badapter&qid=1694471272&sr=8-9&th=1

this is usb-A and supports Mac+ TRRS mic’s: https://www.amazon.ca/TROND-External-Adapter-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B07L56C28R/ref=sr_1_21_sspa?crid=RQX741GRJC0N&keywords=macbook+microphone+TRRS+adapter&qid=1694471488&sprefix=macbook+microphone+trrs+adapter%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-21-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1

all I can say is maybe check out Amazon

john B

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 3:33 PM in response to royksjr

Hi Royks, sure I have a few ideas… the headphone jack/socket may be strictly a headphone jack ( no mic) or if or does support a mic ( for audio input, it’ll be TRRS, 4 pole mic… Macs have never supported TRS mic’s without an adapter… so maybe get a USB audio adapter that supports TRRS for audio input… audacity does support usb audio for input, especially if you choose it in Audio Midi Setup or via Audacity’s built in menu:.: ( audio input/source/recording input)

here’s the specs for your Mac Mini: Mac mini (2023) - Technical Specifications (CA)

so there is no support for mic’s via the headphone jack, the headphone jack is for headphones only… so that leaves you with USB A or USB 3.1 Gen 2 as your choices… so get a usb -A/usb 3.1 gen 2 audio adapter/external sound card that supports trs+ TRRS for the mic input and works on Mac OS X and you should be good to go…Amazon has a few, both of the USB-A type and usb 3.1 gen 2( usb-c).. eg, this one has usb-c, works with Mac and supports trs mic’s, https://www.amazon.ca/Microphone-Adapter-Splitter-Compatible-Tablets,Laptop/dp/B0BXD69S3C/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=macbook%2Bmicrophone%2Badapter&qid=1694471272&sr=8-9&th=1

this is usb-A and supports Mac+ TRRS mic’s: https://www.amazon.ca/TROND-External-Adapter-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B07L56C28R/ref=sr_1_21_sspa?crid=RQX741GRJC0N&keywords=macbook+microphone+TRRS+adapter&qid=1694471488&sprefix=macbook+microphone+trrs+adapter%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-21-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1

all I can say is maybe check out Amazon

john B

Sep 11, 2023 4:28 PM in response to Johnb-one

Wow, now there's an answer. Thank you so much, Johnb-one! I am grateful you took the time.

I'll have to look carefully at what you've said, this new Casio doesn't have a midi port like my old keyboard, it's got the 3.5mm headphone port and usb audio port which I'm really surprised didn't work. I bet your 2nd link would work with the headphone port, tho I'd prefer to find a solution with the usb audio port.

Thank you again, sir, I really appreciate your help!

Sep 16, 2023 7:07 AM in response to Johnb-one

Hi,

Using the Audio Midi Setup app, I connected and recorded with GarageBand.

But neither System Settings>Sound>Input nor Audacity>Transport>Rescan audio devices recognized my Casio keyboard.

Especially strange System Settings couldn't but GB could.

Any idea why System Settings and Audacity won't, and/or how to rectify it?

Thanks again.

royks

How do I connect Casio to Mac mini and record via Audacity (or GB)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.