Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Losing Disk Space Rapidly for No Reason?

My 2014 MacBook Air is rapidly losing gigs of hard disk space for no reason.

Even when I close all programs and create new space by deleting old files, I lose space within a few minutes and then get the warning of having run out of disk space.

Restarting did not work. I have also paused Google Drive and stopped the syncing there.

Any clues on what the problem may be and what I can do?

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 6:50 AM

Try restarting in Safe Mode (restart holding the shift key until the Apple icon appears). This restart takes longer than normal because disk utility is run as well as other background tasks. Once you are in the Finder restart normally and see if your problem is gone. If not, come back.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2020 6:50 AM in response to xhale101

Try restarting in Safe Mode (restart holding the shift key until the Apple icon appears). This restart takes longer than normal because disk utility is run as well as other background tasks. Once you are in the Finder restart normally and see if your problem is gone. If not, come back.

Losing Disk Space Rapidly for No Reason?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.