Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon CanoScan 9000F Scanner and Mac OS Versions

Dear Friends,

If you're an expert on Canon scanners and Mac OS X versions, I would greatly value your professional advice.

(It appears Canon makes it difficult or impossible to get support online... )

I ordered and received a Canon CanoScan 9000F scanner several years ago... and I promptly put in a safe place, and never registered or installed the product. The CanoScan 9000F scanner is sitting there, still encased in the original protective plastic films.

Contacting Canon this week, I was unable to get any answer to my questions:

1.) Is this scanner's distributed software compatible with my current Mac's OS X version 10.11.6 (El Capitan)?

2.) Does the Canon CanoScan 9000F newer Mark II scanner software work with the earlier 9000F?

3.) Are the four Canon software drivers built into the El Capitan OS sufficient to operate the scanner, on their own?

4.) All else failing, is there an affordable third party software package you would recommend, so that I no longer possess a "boat anchor" scanner.

I offer my sincere and very great thanks, in advance, if you will help answer these questions!

All very best wishes.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 6:54 PM

Well it is easy to open the Canon driver website here is a link to the scanners page,

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_9000f.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=os%20x%2010.11%20(el%20capitan) use the operating system selector to check which OS's are supported, my link will open with El Capitan selected. Funny you don't have time to experiment but you expect us to. It took a couple of minutes.

Image Capture is built in to mac OS's just open up your Applications folder, you can also scan through Preview as well.

Or scan through System Preferences> Printers & Scanners.

As the El Capitan driver for the 9000F MkII is different to the driver for the 9000F then no I don't think it would work on the 9000F,

again that took two minutes to find out.

Do not include your e-mail address, it leaves you open to scammers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2020 6:54 PM in response to Norm Caryl

Well it is easy to open the Canon driver website here is a link to the scanners page,

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_9000f.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=os%20x%2010.11%20(el%20capitan) use the operating system selector to check which OS's are supported, my link will open with El Capitan selected. Funny you don't have time to experiment but you expect us to. It took a couple of minutes.

Image Capture is built in to mac OS's just open up your Applications folder, you can also scan through Preview as well.

Or scan through System Preferences> Printers & Scanners.

As the El Capitan driver for the 9000F MkII is different to the driver for the 9000F then no I don't think it would work on the 9000F,

again that took two minutes to find out.

Do not include your e-mail address, it leaves you open to scammers.

Feb 3, 2020 7:08 PM in response to Norm Caryl

I offer the following suggestions for what they are worth. First, Does the Cannon support web site say that it has a driver for this model? If yes, then download and try it. Does your unit's documentation say that it is an air print unit? Does the web site? If so, then it should work on your wifi network without any drivers. One alternative is to try scanning using the Apple app Image Capture. It will often work, but without any extra features. Last, you can download and try the app VueScan. If it works, and it usually does, you can then purchase it. It is a full featured scanning software. If it doesn't work, you can periodically revisit their web site for updates, They keep adding scanners to their list of scanners that can use their software. Good luck.

Feb 5, 2020 3:45 AM in response to Ronasara

Hi Ronasara,

Many thanks for your kind reply... !

To reply to your questions:

1.) "Does the Cannon support web site say that it has a driver for this model?"

They have the original driver as distributed with the scanner, but they don't specify the versions of Mac OS X that it works with. (And I really don't have time to experiment with it.)

2.) "Does your unit's documentation say that it is an air print unit?"

No.

3.) "One alternative is to try scanning using the Apple app Image Capture. It will often work, but without any extra features."

I'm unaware how to obtain it.

4.) "Last, you can download and try the app VueScan. If it works, and it usually does, you can then purchase it."

Good tip, but I was really hoping to minimize extra expenditures.

Ronasara, I greatly value your thoughts, and sincerely thank you for taking time to respond... !

Cheers,

Norm

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Canon CanoScan 9000F Scanner and Mac OS Versions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.