Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV + Subscription disappeared

I bought an apple TV at Christmas, and got an email for a year free subscription to Apple TV+. I signed up and everything was fine, watched a couple of episodes of a show, and now it has disappeared and if I try to watch something it prompts me to subscribe for $7.99/month. If I go into my account to look at subscriptions, it does not appear there, and if I go back into my email to try and sign up again it just goes to the apple TV + home page but does not have an option to sign up for the free year. How do I get my subscription back?

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 2:32 AM

6 replies

Feb 4, 2020 1:31 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks for your reply. I am in Australia, so yes it does cost $7.99, see attached picture above. I received an email after the purchase, and I clicked on the link for a year free, and when I clicked it, the button above said “claim year free” instead of “subscribe” but the link no longer works. If I’d not claimed the offer, then wouldn’t it still be available to claim? I was able to watch shows and now I’m not so I’m pretty sure I was subscribed.

You mentioned Apple Music. I was an Apple Music family subscriber, which I did cancel that subscription a few weeks ago, as Apple Music is not compatible with Google Home. Do you think that cancelling the family music subscription has cancelled the appleTV+ subscription? Even then, the subscription doesn’t even run out for another few days, so it’s technically still active.

Feb 4, 2020 9:58 AM in response to JonnoMcD

If you had claimed the offer then it would appear in the subscriptions section of your account. Even if it had been cancelled it would still show under your account, but the status would have changed. Apple TV Plus does not cost $7.99 so that prompt would be for another subscription.

There was one other similar report recently, and upon further investigation the user realized they had't actually claimed the 12 month offer, but in fact been on an Apple Music student plan, which comes with Apple TV Plus. Once they had been moved to a standard plan they lost access, however they would no no longer qualify for this offer since it cannot be combined with other offers as per the terms.

Feb 4, 2020 2:46 PM in response to JonnoMcD

Ah I was not aware that it cost $7.99 over there so apologies.

If you had been on an Apple music plan that contained Apple TV Plus then it would be available as part of that subscription, and would then be terminated once that plan was inactive.

If you had started a separate subscription for Apple TV Plus then it would show up under your account. The fact that it doesn’t indicates the above scenario.

If you want further verification you can contact Apple support

Feb 4, 2020 3:00 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks for trying to help vazandrew, I appreciate you taking the time!

The apple music plan was separate to the apple TV+ subscription, but when you mentioned that they might be linked, I thought maybe me cancelling had something to do with it, but it doesn't seem to have.

I had separate subscriptions, I even have a "welcome to apple tv+" email from when the subscription was activated. As you say, it should be there in subscriptions, but it's not. The whole thing is very weird! I am speaking with support. I have a receipt for the purchase, so they should be able to re-activate it based off of that.

Feb 4, 2020 3:52 PM in response to JonnoMcD

It is weird indeed, as if a subscription had been activated it would be shown under the account. Even if a subscription was no longer active or had been cancelled it would still show up. The only other report I came across like this was from a user who had in fact had an Apple Music plan that was eligible for Apple TV Plus, and in that instance it was accessed through the Music subscription, which is why it wasn't shown separately on the account.

However, If that wasn't the case for you then it seems there was a glitch and it was deactivated and removed somehow. In that case i'm sure there shouldn't be an issue reactivating it.

Apple TV + Subscription disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.