Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac keeps freezing every minute

I have a 2011 iMac running High Sierra. I have kept up with all upgrades but I guess the mac is too old now. Every minute or so, as I type of do anything, it freezes ( no beach ball necessarily) and I have to wait 10 or so seconds for it to 'catch up again'. I have shut it down and restarted it, no improvements. I have run Activity Monitor and haven't found anything significant, and have run Disk Utility and it doesn't show anything much either. Can anyone help? Is it simply too old? Thanks.

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 6:08 AM

This sounds like a failing HD. Please restart in the Recovery Partition (Command + R on startup) and open Disk Utilities and then run First Aid on the internal drive 2-4 times. If any errors appear that confirms the hunch. If no errors appear then you can try restarting in Safe Mode( Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support) and see if that helps, otherwise it will need to have to go to a local Apple Authorized Service Provider to be diagnosed.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2020 6:08 AM in response to applealias11

This sounds like a failing HD. Please restart in the Recovery Partition (Command + R on startup) and open Disk Utilities and then run First Aid on the internal drive 2-4 times. If any errors appear that confirms the hunch. If no errors appear then you can try restarting in Safe Mode( Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support) and see if that helps, otherwise it will need to have to go to a local Apple Authorized Service Provider to be diagnosed.

Feb 13, 2020 8:22 AM in response to applealias11

If you get a 21" the RAM is only upgradeable by an AASP, even Apple Stores will not do it, the cost of upgrading for labor alone would make it cost prohibiitive as it requires a complete disassembly of the computer.

The advantage of a SSD is it's speed and reliability. SSD's have no moving parts whereas traditional HD have moving parts and will fail earlier on average than SSDs. While SSDs are more expensive the user experience far outweighs the cost. If you get a 21.5" with a hard drive your will be EXTREMELY disapointed as they are downgrades from machines made before 2012.

As suggested:

• 21.5" get the largest SSD you can afford and 16 GB of RAM or more
    • 27" get the largest SSD you can afford and buy with 8 GB of RAM and then upgrade to 32GB using Crucial.com or Macsales.com RAM.

Feb 13, 2020 7:46 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi again, My Mac is slowing down again and doing the same thing it did before I did the disk utility etc. I will now do the starting in Safe Mode part as you recommended.

Question on your recommendation on the 21 vs 27" - I never bought a SSD. Is it really necessary? I have to add that I'm (clearly) not a heavy user - just using it for Word, Excel, social media, browsing and every day stuff. Though we have a lot of photos.. The 21" one says it is upgradable with extra RAM so to your point, we should get it configured with the 16 from the start? It's the SSD that's confusing me a bit.

Thanks!

Feb 13, 2020 9:27 AM in response to applealias11

First lets define what a Fusion drive is: A fusion drive is a combination of a very small SSD that is fused with software with a traditional spinning hard drive. Fusion drives are faster than just a traditional HD becuase the SSD portion is used for startup and shutdown operations. You cannot define the size of the SSD used!

If you purchase an iMac with just a SSD it is just that, a SSD all by itself. So if you can only afford a 256 GB SSD it will be fast but is limited to only 256 GB of storage. If you need additional storage then your best option is adding external HD's (we recommend the OWC Mercury Elite Pros) .

On my computer I have just a 256 GB SSD but have several large HD's attached for storing large libraries such as my movies (close to 1000), photos, and music. What tends to take up the most space on computer storage are those items. My SSD is only used for keeping Mac OS, my applications and some files I use daily. Everything else is on EHDs and has been that way for years.

iMac keeps freezing every minute

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.