Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Print or Scan from MacBook Pro 15 since upgrading to macOS Catalina 10.15.3

Does Apple have a solution to fix the issue that I'm having with any printing or scanning from my MacBook Pro 15 since I upgraded to macOS Catalina 10.15.3 on Friday, 1/31/2020. I'm very happy with Apple hardware and software products and have been a happy user for over a decade, but this issue is very frustrating and affecting my productivity.

I have a HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M476dw and had no issues with printing, scanning or using the other functions of the multi-functional printing with any of my Mac products. Since the upgrade I have not been able to print or scan. I've researched the available help topics online and some suggested disabling the IPv6 on the printer and/or the computer. I tried that and it didn't work and put it back to the original settings. On the Apple Communities site (this site) it suggested resetting the all the printer settings in "System Preferences", "Printers & Scanners" which I did and re-installed the printer drivers from the HP website for the correct version of the operating system.

I tried uninstalling, powering off, re-installing and nothing seems to work. The only thing that seems logical is that there is something new in the recent macOS update that is conflicting with the communication with the printer. I've even tried another printer/scanner and having the same issue.

Does Apple have a proposed solution for this?

Thank you for anyone that knows how to fix this.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 11:09 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 5, 2020 11:56 AM in response to bolinfamily

Boot into Safe Mode (Use Safe Mode to isoloate issues with your Mac and Playing Safe: what does Safe Mode do?) and try scanning from there. Any change? Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

As a test download the demo version of VueScan and see if it can communicate with your scanner.

Feb 4, 2020 7:10 PM in response to Old Toad

I've tried that a few times and still hasn't worked with redownloading and installing the current driver from HP for macOS 10.15. It will only print if I connect the printer directly via a USB to the MacBook Pro 15, but no matter what I try I cannot get the scanner to transmit/maintain a connection during scanning. The scanning process will start but always stops with an error message.

The issue didn't exist prior to the latest update for macOS from 10.15.2 to 10.15.3.

Thank you "OT" for commenting and offering a solution.

Feb 5, 2020 11:51 AM in response to jblanchard1

The error message that I get is a "Scanner reported an error"; "An error occurred while communicating with the scanner". The scanner will start and first page will go through, but when it is processing it the error message will come up and the process will stop.

I tried scanning with the scanner app within the printer under System Preferences, I tried scanning with Preview and Image Capture, and I've tried it with the HP Easy Scan application as well. The same error message comes up for all of them.

I've loaded the printer with the HP drivers and without the HP drivers and just using AirPrint. I've had the same issue with Bonjour or even when directly connecting the printer to the MacBook Pro 15 via an USB cable. I'm only able to print when it connect through an USB cable, but I'm not able with any of the configurations to scan.

Unable to Print or Scan from MacBook Pro 15 since upgrading to macOS Catalina 10.15.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.