Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Air 3 screen distortion

Is it normal to see some discolouration on the screen near the bottom bezel when holding the iPad with even a bit of pressure. I’ve noticed when holding the iPad or running my finger on the bezel the screen distorts/changes color. This is most prominent when a theres a black background. I’m worried this might damage my screen on the longterm.

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 5:04 AM

As described, your iPad screen is “pinched” - and the distortion that you see is the very thin layer of LCD crystals being mechanically displaced, in relation to the fixed screen polariser, by applied external pressure. Either your screen is faulty or incorrectly clamped within the device housing, or perhaps the casing may have suffered impact damage along the affected bezel.

You are not likely to cause additional damage to the screen itself with this effect present. This mechanical/visual effect is often seen in LCD displays that lack a solid cover glass - but is unusual in high quality rigid displays.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2020 5:04 AM in response to Ynics

As described, your iPad screen is “pinched” - and the distortion that you see is the very thin layer of LCD crystals being mechanically displaced, in relation to the fixed screen polariser, by applied external pressure. Either your screen is faulty or incorrectly clamped within the device housing, or perhaps the casing may have suffered impact damage along the affected bezel.

You are not likely to cause additional damage to the screen itself with this effect present. This mechanical/visual effect is often seen in LCD displays that lack a solid cover glass - but is unusual in high quality rigid displays.

Ipad Air 3 screen distortion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.