Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scrabble EA

I don’t use fb to access my Scrabble but have never had any issues in the 2 years I’ve been playing this game.

Now, all of a sudden, I am getting this error message “Error updating dictionaries: Cannot download dictionary update. Try to restart Scrabble to retry updating the dictionaries”

I have shut down and started again, I have deleted and reloaded the app with and without history! The dictionary is now advising a more recent update has been applied but I am still getting this error message!

Thankfully it doesn’t affect the game, I just press OK and play without issue, but the error message is annoying me!

Looking to remove this error, hoping to get answers and ideas here.

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 2:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 2:42 AM

I have exactly the same problem. But it is happening only on my i-phone and not on my Kindle Fire which successfully updated the dictionary. I have plenty of storage space so that's not the issue. I restarted Scrabble, restarted the phone, and tried it on Wi-Fi and on 4G. Nothing has worked so far.

9 replies

Feb 11, 2020 2:40 AM in response to connorfromgrinnell

Unfortunately EA support is as useless as tap shoes on a hummingbird.

I did make one more observation that may be useful. The dictionary does appear to be downloading in spite of the error message that says that the download is failing. It's the actual installation that appears to be failing. I suspect that security on the i-phone is not allowing the installation to complete. I looked through the settings for the Scrabble app and found nothing related to security and I can't remember seeing an option to adjust the security level of the phone. I'm not sure if this is helpful.

Feb 26, 2020 2:27 AM in response to Bill2462

A bit more information.

The issue appears to be with the Safari browser security settings. You can't log onto Facebook with Safari but you can using Chrome from the same i-Phone. Scrabble attempts to log on with the default browser which is Safari and that's why the login fails.

In the security settings for Safari, an option enabled by default is to block all cookies. I allowed cookies which enabled me to also allow cross site tracking. Changing those two settings seemed to allow the process to get further along but I was still not able to successfully log into Scrabble from my i-Phone.

Scrabble EA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.