Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder search & resize spotlight window

i try to search for a certain file on my lokal HD and also (at the same time) on the drives attached via network... this does not work - i can EITHER search on my local disk (on this mac) or on the network (shared)... with these searches (one after the other) i get the needed results - so indexing works... but i have to remember where is what and also make every search twice...

is there a way to search on BOTH locations at the same time???

my idea was searching over spotlight but this really made me lose my mind...

in the spotlight window i can see the path to a certain file (holding CMD after marking the file in question). but the spotlight window is not big enough to show the whole path - it always starts with three dots (...) so this is no help...

cannot resize the spotlight window - which drives me nuts!

all other workarounds i found here or on the web are no help - like typing CMD + i which then closes the spotlight window (!) and opens the information about the file... this makes no sense at all...

any ideas?

thanks in advance!

daniel

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 8:04 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 6, 2020 1:59 AM in response to leroydouglas

thank you - i am aware of that...

but as i mentioned searching in the finder window can only be done EITHER on the local disk OR on shared drive... not both at the same time...

spotlight DOES however show both: files on inter AND shared drives - which is great! but there is no way to see the whole path to a certain file (after holding CMD) since the spotlight window is not large enough and therefore the path starts with ... and you just see the end of the path... no help at all...

and there is the problem that the spotlight window cannot be resized...

ok - i guess this "feature" is a bug after all ;)

will write a feedback to apple...

Feb 10, 2020 8:27 AM in response to honeyhippo

After you do the Spotlight search and it finds the file(s) you're looking for, if you scroll to the bottom of the results list and click Show all in Finder... (then click the Finder face in the pane on the right) a Finder window opens to display the files that Spotlight has presented.

This Finder window includes a Path Bar at the bottom AND the window can be resized if you need to see a longer path.

finder search & resize spotlight window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.