Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive Not Showing on MacBook Air

Hello, I have a 2018 retina macbook air that doesn't recognize my Western Digital external hard-drive when I connect via a Satechi multi-USB-C to A adapter. I am able to connect a flash drive and iphone via the same adapter and the MacBook recognizes it. My iMac and PC recognizes the same external hard drive without any issues. I have spent 2 days with apple support and they cannot solve it. We have done VRAM, PRAM resets, re-installed software, and re-booted in recovery mode with no answers. Any ideas?

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 6:52 PM

If you are only using the Satechi adapter with the 2018 Retina MBAir, then this is the Satechi adapter is most likely at fault (or there is a compatibility issue with it and the WD drive). Perhaps the Satechi adapter is not providing enough power to the WD drive.

You can also try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset.

You may also want to try mounting the WD drive while booted into Safe Mode.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2020 6:52 PM in response to Profto

If you are only using the Satechi adapter with the 2018 Retina MBAir, then this is the Satechi adapter is most likely at fault (or there is a compatibility issue with it and the WD drive). Perhaps the Satechi adapter is not providing enough power to the WD drive.

You can also try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset.

You may also want to try mounting the WD drive while booted into Safe Mode.

External Hard Drive Not Showing on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.