Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Out going e mail issue - COX internet provider

OS x El Capitan Version 10.11.6

IMac 24 inch Early 2008

2.8 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 800 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM

Approximately 9 months ago Cox made changes to their email system and since then I have been able to receive emails but not send. I've been getting by using my IPad to send. I have spent time on the phone with Cox tech support going over the settings for email and have been told that the issue is probably something Apple Tech support needs to address. The message I get when trying to send an email is "Could not connect to the SMPT server. Check network connection and that you entered correct info in the account preferences. verify server supports SSL..."

i have checked and unchecked the SSL box. Changed ports. Checked and unchecked the automatically detect and maintain account settings. The auto detect box has to be checked in order to receive emails.

I have tried adding a new account using IMAP in lieu of POP.

current settings:

Outgoing server: smpt.cox.net

Port 995

SSL checked

Authentication - Password

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You,

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 12:21 PM

Please click Mail Troubleshooting to troubleshoot mail. If you continue to have problems, please call AppleCare. As we do not know where you located please click AppleCare Contact Information for the phone number in your corner of the planet.

1 reply

Out going e mail issue - COX internet provider

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.