Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wipe clean hard drive iMac G5 from Recovery mode

I’m trying to wipe clean my hard drive (to sell) on iMac G5 Mountain Lion 10.5.8. When I start it up using Mac OS Recovery, it still opens with my login and custom wallpaper screen, and no Disk Utility comes up. Is this correct, and I can just open Disk Utility from here, or should it start up with a factory screen and the Disk Utility should come up?

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 12:47 PM

I don't remember there being a "recovery mode" on the G5 iMacs.

Why don't you just boot it up from the install DVD that it came with and erase and re-install from there?

Good luck selling it. I can't imagine it has any value at all these days other than out of nostalgia...

8 replies

Wipe clean hard drive iMac G5 from Recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.