Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open Pages 8.2.1 on macOS 10.15.3

I am hoping there is a quick fix. After latest macOS 10.15.3 download my Pages 8.2.1 will not open. So far I have tried sending the app to trash and emptying, then reinstalling from App Store. Same result, pinwheel of death spins until I force quit. I have a mid 2012 macbook pro (purchased new in 2014) 13 inch with 16gb memory

MacBook Pro 13", 10.15

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 10:52 PM

Hi dm'

Your issue appears to have some similarity to one often reported in the days after an OS update to macOS Catalina—loss of ability to open Numbers (or Pages) documents, and sometimes loss of ability to launch the application itself.

One suggestion that had many 'that solved it' replies was to restart the computer.

A followup suggestion in cases where that restart was not successful in clearing the issue was to do a restart into safe mode.

To do a 'Safe mode" startup:

• If the computer is shut down: press the power button or key

If the computer is running, choose Restart from the Apple menu

• As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the shift key
  • Keep shift pressed until you see the apple logo and a progress bar below it on the screen,then
  • release the key and let the startup process finish.

Every startup (including restarts) of the computer triggers a set of housekeeping routines.

A "safe mode" startup runs a larger set of these routines, and omits starting some sections of the OS and its support software.

Because of the extra housekeeping, the "safe mode" startup takes longer than a regular startup. You will also see a degradation in video performance in "safe mode". This is normal.

When the "safe mode' startup has completed, restart the computer again, this time omitting the use of the shift key (ie. a normal restart).

Launch Pages and attempt to open the problem document(s) again.

Regards,

Barry

Further information about Safe Mode here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2020 10:52 PM in response to dmtrios

Hi dm'

Your issue appears to have some similarity to one often reported in the days after an OS update to macOS Catalina—loss of ability to open Numbers (or Pages) documents, and sometimes loss of ability to launch the application itself.

One suggestion that had many 'that solved it' replies was to restart the computer.

A followup suggestion in cases where that restart was not successful in clearing the issue was to do a restart into safe mode.

To do a 'Safe mode" startup:

• If the computer is shut down: press the power button or key

If the computer is running, choose Restart from the Apple menu

• As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the shift key
  • Keep shift pressed until you see the apple logo and a progress bar below it on the screen,then
  • release the key and let the startup process finish.

Every startup (including restarts) of the computer triggers a set of housekeeping routines.

A "safe mode" startup runs a larger set of these routines, and omits starting some sections of the OS and its support software.

Because of the extra housekeeping, the "safe mode" startup takes longer than a regular startup. You will also see a degradation in video performance in "safe mode". This is normal.

When the "safe mode' startup has completed, restart the computer again, this time omitting the use of the shift key (ie. a normal restart).

Launch Pages and attempt to open the problem document(s) again.

Regards,

Barry

Further information about Safe Mode here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Feb 6, 2020 6:47 AM in response to dmtrios

It is interesting to read all of the posts where users cannot create, save, or reopen Pages documents saved from Pages v8.2.1 on Catalina (10.15.0 thru 10.15.3). I also have this application on Mojave 10.14.6, and it behaves properly there too.

I performed a clean install of Catalina 10.15.0 on an external SSD, and installed Pages v8.2.1. With each update of Catalina (currently 10.15.3), I have yet to experience any issue with Pages v8.2.1 on opening, saving, or reopening any documents — whether Pages, or Word formats. All documents are either local, or to a lesser extent, on iCloud Drive. I do not use Pages for iCloud, Pages for iOS, or any third-party cloud service for document storage.

I have tested Pages v8.2.1 and it will open documents created by Pages v5.0 thru its own current version documents, and some of these documents have been historically edited by several different versions of Pages over the years.

I also do not run any anti-virus product, so-called Mac cleaner products, or memory management applications, any of which could potentially alter the behavior of the operating system, or installed applications.

Feb 7, 2020 9:03 AM in response to Barry

Thanks Barry. I tried your tip and it worked initially but even then, to open any document that was not recent I had to open finder as it did not open it for me when I tapped open in the file menu. Then it reverted to the pinwheel again. I tried it again and again. This time I also sent the application to the trash and emptied before reinstalling. After 3 efforts like this, again it partially worked before showing me the pinwheel. Also noticed problem with the photo editor in Apple Photo. After I finished an edit hit the done key the color level and saturation had changed, becoming more red, when I recalled the photo. For now, the tech that I use, who is really so good that people travel distances to see him when they have Mac issues, is thumbs down on the this new version recommends waiting. He is saving my files, stripping my MacBook Pro clean and reinstalling the previous os.

Can't open Pages 8.2.1 on macOS 10.15.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.