Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari extension boxes can't be checked, extensions are not working

Hi,

I just update the MacOs to Catalina 10.15.3 and now none of my extension boxes can be checked after they were un-checked (extension such as Wipr, Honey etc.) Clicking the boxes won't do anything. I have tried uninstalled and reinstalled the extension multiple times, as well as rebooting but it didn't work. Please help.

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 2:47 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 8, 2020 3:22 AM in response to Yamroll

1. Try a simple restart first.

2 Use safe mode to try to isolate the cause of the issue.

Once in Safe Mode, click the “Restart” button at the bottom of the screen to exit Safe Mode.

3 If these extensions worked before installing the latest update, I would try reinstalling macOS after backing up the Mac.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Feb 8, 2020 12:32 PM in response to dominic23

Hi,

That did actually work! I removed all start up item/application and the extension works just fine so I open them one by one to see which one cause the issue. It was the app 'quick shade'. Apparently any app that put shades on the display (eg. screen shade and quick shade) cause this issue and by simply closing the app, the issue is gone. Thank you so much for all your help!!

Best,

Feb 8, 2020 2:57 AM in response to dominic23

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Yes i did get both from the appstore. Its not just these two extensions. I have tried Adguard and Pocket as well but none of them really work. The box just wont be checked. This seem to happen after the update from previous Catalina to Catalina 10.15.3 (btw im using the MBP 16 inch). Please let me know if you have any thought. Thank you so much.

Feb 8, 2020 5:25 AM in response to Yamroll

Thank you for the feedback.

Probably a third party software interference.

Run EtreCheck and post the report here. This is a diagnostic test app developed by one of the

Apple Support Community members for use by other ASC members.

https://etrecheck.com

Click “Free Download” button,  open Downloads folder, click on it to open, and then select ”Open”.

Click on the bouncing  EtreCheck icon in the Dock.

“Choose a problem” from the popup menu box, and then “Start EtreCheck” in the dialog.

Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” .

Paste it into the reply.

Safari extension boxes can't be checked, extensions are not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.