Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4 Airport Extremes & Altice ONE

I currently have 4 Airport extremes ( 5th gen ) each connected to each other via Ethernet and 1st APPLE ROUTER is plugged into my old Verizon FIOS Router , I am Looking to QUIT Verizon FIOS and Go to ALTICE ONE . I never used FIOS WIFI and love the airport extreme set up .

CAN I use my current Airport Extreme home network with a new Altice one box ? and if so what do i need to know to set it up properly ? Thanks Ed

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 2:19 PM

2) What are the Specs Of the AlticeOne?

Main Box:

Broadcom 24X8 DOCSIS 3.0 Modem

Coax Input

NFC

Bluetooth 4.1 + EDR

Wireless N/AC (802.11n 2.4GHz 3x3, 802.11ac 5GHz 4x4)

Front Display of Clock or Current Channel Watching; User Selectable

(2) USB 2.0 Ports

(1) USB 3.0

(1) HDMI 2.0A and HDCP 2.2

(1) HDMI AUX IN aka Pass-Thru [NOT ACTIVE]; At Time Of Writing

(1) Optical Audio Out (S/PDIF)

RCA Audio Out [L+R]

Digital Audio Out

(4) LAN Gigabit RJ45 with Activity Light Only

(1) SD Card Slot for Cloud DVR Rewind SD Card (If Subscribed) Otherwise Nothing in Slot

(1) RJ11 Phone

12V, 5A Power Adapter

4K Compatible

Voice Activated Remote with Backlite Keys and Jump back 10 Seconds and Jump Forward 30 Seconds

PIP (Picture In Picture)

Channel Power On (Preset A Channel To Have Box Auto On)

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2020 2:19 PM in response to Bob Timmons

2) What are the Specs Of the AlticeOne?

Main Box:

Broadcom 24X8 DOCSIS 3.0 Modem

Coax Input

NFC

Bluetooth 4.1 + EDR

Wireless N/AC (802.11n 2.4GHz 3x3, 802.11ac 5GHz 4x4)

Front Display of Clock or Current Channel Watching; User Selectable

(2) USB 2.0 Ports

(1) USB 3.0

(1) HDMI 2.0A and HDCP 2.2

(1) HDMI AUX IN aka Pass-Thru [NOT ACTIVE]; At Time Of Writing

(1) Optical Audio Out (S/PDIF)

RCA Audio Out [L+R]

Digital Audio Out

(4) LAN Gigabit RJ45 with Activity Light Only

(1) SD Card Slot for Cloud DVR Rewind SD Card (If Subscribed) Otherwise Nothing in Slot

(1) RJ11 Phone

12V, 5A Power Adapter

4K Compatible

Voice Activated Remote with Backlite Keys and Jump back 10 Seconds and Jump Forward 30 Seconds

PIP (Picture In Picture)

Channel Power On (Preset A Channel To Have Box Auto On)

Apr 9, 2020 4:31 PM in response to iedgome

Swap locations of Router 2 with either Router 3 or Router 4.

If the speeds remain low at the original location of Router 2, then you have a wiring problem or a slow Ethernet port on the Ethernet switch. A mis-wired cable or connector will still allow a connection, but speeds will drop dramatically.

If Router 2 is still slow when it is located at the original location of either 3 or 4, then Router 2 itself has problems, even though it might be new.

When you get things working, move the Mac laptop close to Router 1. Hold down the option key while you click on the WiFi menu. Post a screenshot of the read out. Then, do the same with 2, 3 and 4. Example:

Feb 6, 2020 2:18 PM in response to iedgome

CAN I use my current Airport Extreme home network with a new Altice one box ?

Possibly, if the "box" is a router that has at least one Ethernet port.....(most routers have 4 Ethernet ports). Info about Altice ONE that I can find doesn't provide any details about the "box". Can you provide a specification sheet and/or a picture of the back of the device?

and if so what do i need to know to set it up properly ?

Assuming the "box" is a router with at least one Ethernet port.....with luck, very little. But we won't be able to make a prediction until we have more information about the "box".

Feb 6, 2020 2:22 PM in response to iedgome

and some more info I got from dslreports :

7) Altice ONE Can I Use My Own Router?

Answer:

UPDATE 11/27/19:

ALTICE is Supporting Bring Your Own Router with Altice One, however results in Double NAT.

Per Optimum Direct via Twitter »/speak ··· hcnQ9OTA

UPDATE 8/20/18:

I Spoke To 2 Different Reps Who Said, Using Own Router is Not a Issue Any Longer. HOWEVER..... On Personal Router MUST Be in Bridge Mode With DHCP Turned Off!

Update: 1/15/19:

You should be able to use your own router as long as your Router has Option to turn ON "AP Mode" aka Access Point Mode.

NO! There Is No Way To Bridge The AlticeOne OR Disable The Internal Router.

Feb 6, 2020 2:34 PM in response to iedgome

Is it possible for you to check a network setting on your "main" AirPort Extreme using AirPort Utility?

Open AirPort Utility and click on the main AirPort Extreme to select it, then click the Edit button in the next window

Next, click on the Network tab at the top of the next window

Check to see what the current setting for Router Mode might be on the AirPort Extreme.

It will be either Off (Bridge Mode)......or......DHCP and NAT

Feb 6, 2020 5:51 PM in response to iedgome

OK, thanks. I am assuming that the "main" AirPort connects to the Fios router now, and that the other AirPorts connect to the "main" AirPort.

If that is the case, then things should work if you connect the AirPort Extreme to the new Altice One router as follows below. Please note that the word "should" is not the same as the word "will" though.

Power off all of the AirPorts in any order that you want

Power off the Altice One router

Change the Ethernet cable that connects to the main AirPort from its current connection at the Fios router to one of the four yellow Ethernet ports on the Altice one router

Power up the Altice one router and let it run for a minute or two

Power up only the main AirPort and check to see that it has a green light and that devices can connect to the AirPort network

If all is OK, power up the second AirPort and run the same checks again

If OK, power up the third AirPort and run the checks

If OK, power up the fourth AriPort and run the checks

If OK, you are all set.

Feb 13, 2020 8:01 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok I am not going with Altice one I am waiting for Optimum 300 internet only to be installed tomorrow I bought a router as per them from Best Buy a Arris SB 6183 modem . will let you know how it goes ,

I seem to be having one issue my second 5th gen extreme router in line shows connection only good the one before it and then other 2 extremes after it show excellent . any ideas why ? . i have them all in bridge mode they are all connected via internet in series first into router , then 2nd from lan on 1st into WAN on 2nd router etc....

any ideas?

Feb 13, 2020 11:15 AM in response to iedgome

Ok so i think i have a bad Ethernet wire from router 1 to router 2 , i swamped them out and the good ( instead of excellent) ) lower connection showed up on the 2nd position router that was originally in position 1. that Ethernet wire is a long run and it goes outside for a small portion of the run , perhaps it is damaged . Will run a new cable tomorrow and hope it solves my issue as that position 2 router has always had a lower wifi speed and could not figure it out.

Feb 13, 2020 11:24 AM in response to iedgome

A defective cable will still often allow a connection to occur, but it will limit speeds to 100 Mbps or even 10 Mbps.

Another thing that you want to check is to make sure that each of the AirPorts has been configured to "Create a wireless network". This is the correct setting to use when AirPorts connect together using Ethernet.

You would NOT want to have any of the AirPorts configured to "Extend a wireless network", since that setting is only used if the AirPort connects to another AirPort using wireless.

In other words, If you have any of the AirPorts configured to "extend a wireless network" and they are connecting to the network using Ethernet, you will have feedback loops that really kill the speed on the network.

Feb 23, 2020 4:16 PM in response to Bob Timmons

to follow up I replaced the bad Ethernet cable from Airport 1 to 2 and solved my issue with drop in MBPS , I have a Cable Modem Arris SB6183 running and the 1st router connected in settings is set on Internet connection tab (" share a public IP address" ) and the other 3 are set to off bridge mode and all seems to be working great . under wireless tab all 4 are set to Create a wireless network , all 4 have check box marked allow the network to be extended and all have the same network SSID and passport

is there any other settings I should be aware of ? Thanks

Feb 23, 2020 4:42 PM in response to iedgome

It looks like you are using a PC with AirPort Utility to set things up.

the 1st router connected in settings is set on Internet connection tab (" share a public IP address" )

Correct, with the Arris SB 6183. The Mac version of AirPort Utility calls this setting "DHCP and NAT".

and the other 3 are set to off bridge mode

Correct

under wireless tab all 4 are set to Create a wireless network

Correct

all have the same network SSID and passport

Correct assuming you meant to say "password" instead of "passport"

all 4 have check box marked allow the network to be extended

The box would be checked if you wanted to extend your network using only wireless connections.....but..... you are using Ethernet connections. It won't hurt to leave the settings as they are, but it won't help either.

4 Airport Extremes & Altice ONE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.