Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini login issues

I have a 2014 Mac mini. Somewhere along the lines, I must have turned on Filevault and did not save the recovery key. I cannot seem to login with my password (which I know) as the "c" and some other keys on my keyboard are not working (c is the first letter of my password). So, I don't know my recovery key, I am only given the option of password or recovery key, I cannot seem to access safe mode or recovery mode or any other utilities. Please help me, I am loosing my mind.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 3:33 PM

It sounds like an EFI Firmware Lock instead of Filevault. See this Apple article for information.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204455

Is the lock you are seeing shown in the Apple article? If so and you don't have the password, then you will need to take the computer to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with valid proof of purchase which should include the system serial number so they can remove the firmware lock for you.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 3:33 PM in response to majabu56

It sounds like an EFI Firmware Lock instead of Filevault. See this Apple article for information.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204455

Is the lock you are seeing shown in the Apple article? If so and you don't have the password, then you will need to take the computer to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with valid proof of purchase which should include the system serial number so they can remove the firmware lock for you.

Feb 7, 2020 6:24 AM in response to HWTech

It is not the keyboard. The keyboard works fine on the apple dropdown (which by the way in recovery only shows the primary drive (lock or unlock) and restart and shutdown. In this field for lock and unlock I am able to type the entire password without issue. Unfortunately, it seems that even when I take the option to unlock and attempt to achieve access, I am viciously taken back to the same password/recovery key field which again will not accept the digits of my password. Thoughts?

Mac mini login issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.