Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password Box Not Showing On Login Screen

I recently did the latest update to my MacBook. I notice my scroll bar did not work properly but I was able to scroll with two fingers. I called into Apple Care for help and the tech had me to create a test user. When we rebooted the system to login as the test user there was no password box to login the password. So now I’m stuck out of my computer when the only initial problem was the scroll bar. Has anyone experienced this problem with not having the password box available upon sign in?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 10:43 AM

Try booting into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), launch Disk Utility and repair the disk. Reboot normally and see if there's any change.

If not, boot again into the Recovery volume and reinstall the system and see if that fixes the problem.

Lastly, if you've got a current backup of your drive, either Time Machine or a clone, boot into the Recovery volume again, launch Disk Utility, erase the drive and reistall the system.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 10:43 AM in response to browndirt3

Try booting into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), launch Disk Utility and repair the disk. Reboot normally and see if there's any change.

If not, boot again into the Recovery volume and reinstall the system and see if that fixes the problem.

Lastly, if you've got a current backup of your drive, either Time Machine or a clone, boot into the Recovery volume again, launch Disk Utility, erase the drive and reistall the system.

Password Box Not Showing On Login Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.