Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I removed a stolen device from my list without erasing it first. Can I retroactively go back and erase?

I removed a stolen device from my list without erasing it first (trigger finger hit the wrong thing). I then changed changed my apple ID password to prevent anyone from accessing my iCloud account. Can I retroactively go back and erase the stolen iPhone? I had it marked as lost, then hit remove from device list BEFORE erasing it. I purchased a new device from my carrier who also reported my old phone as lost / stolen. I really don't want anyone to access my things! Trying to do everything right and I messed up a very important step. I removed the apple pay from the old phone first, I changed my iCloud PW, and I have 2-factor authentication on. What else can I do if I can't retroactively erase the phone?

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 10:42 AM

maryks wrote:

wouldn't they only be able to restore to factory settings without my passcode? plus i changed my iCloud PW ... and my carrier has it reported as lost / stolen. F ... what else can i do to try to protect myself?

That's correct. There is no way to bypass the lock screen passcode and access your data. All they can do is wipe the phone and set it up for themselves.

It sounds like you've done everything you can.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 10:42 AM in response to maryks

maryks wrote:

wouldn't they only be able to restore to factory settings without my passcode? plus i changed my iCloud PW ... and my carrier has it reported as lost / stolen. F ... what else can i do to try to protect myself?

That's correct. There is no way to bypass the lock screen passcode and access your data. All they can do is wipe the phone and set it up for themselves.

It sounds like you've done everything you can.

I removed a stolen device from my list without erasing it first. Can I retroactively go back and erase?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.