Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using songs in iMovie

I am trying to make a movie using iMovie, and I am not able to get songs from Apple Music into iMovie. I was able to do this with iTunes purchased songs, so how do I do this now that iTunes went away and everything is converted to Apple Music?

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 12:04 PM

Apple Music songs are DRM (copyright) protected and thus cannot be used in iMovie. Downloading them into iTunes will not remove the DRM protection. Also, Apple Music is a subscription service intended for streaming and listening to songs, and not for using them in projects. As you have found, they won't work in projects.

I believe that you can still purchase songs from iTunes, however. Recently purchased iTunes songs are free of DRM protection and so they can be used in iMovie. Songs presently in your iTunes library are still available as well for use in iMovie if they are not DRM protected.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2020 12:04 PM in response to MommaSimp

Apple Music songs are DRM (copyright) protected and thus cannot be used in iMovie. Downloading them into iTunes will not remove the DRM protection. Also, Apple Music is a subscription service intended for streaming and listening to songs, and not for using them in projects. As you have found, they won't work in projects.

I believe that you can still purchase songs from iTunes, however. Recently purchased iTunes songs are free of DRM protection and so they can be used in iMovie. Songs presently in your iTunes library are still available as well for use in iMovie if they are not DRM protected.

-- Rich

Using songs in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.