Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thumb drive issue

I would like to move a couple of photos from my iMac to a thumb drive. When I insert the drive, it does not show up on the desktop. I have tried 2 or 3 different ones, but with no luck.

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 10:05 AM

Are you plugging the drives directly into the computer, or into a hub or the keyboard? If the latter, try plugging into the computer's USB ports. USB ports on non-powered hubs and keyboards often fail to provide enough power to make thumb drives mount.

Also launch Image Capture and see if the images appear in that app. It is part of OSX so nothing to buy.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2020 10:05 AM in response to smswanson23

Are you plugging the drives directly into the computer, or into a hub or the keyboard? If the latter, try plugging into the computer's USB ports. USB ports on non-powered hubs and keyboards often fail to provide enough power to make thumb drives mount.

Also launch Image Capture and see if the images appear in that app. It is part of OSX so nothing to buy.

Feb 7, 2020 1:31 PM in response to smswanson23

How is the thumb drive formatted. If you don't know, in Finder locate it and selection it and then Type Command + I . It will pop up with a window that and one item is how it is formatted. If it has never been formatted, chances are it is NTFS and Mac OS will not write to NTFS. This means it must be formatted to a format Mac OS can write to.

What do you intend to do with the data, if you intend to share it with a PC then that matters!!!

Feb 8, 2020 11:48 AM in response to smswanson23

If your Firewire or USB isn't recognizing any device.  A solution which has worked for some whose hard drive became invisible in 10.4 was simply to follow these four steps to reset the Firewire/USB bus:

1. Shut the machine down.

2. UNPLUG the power lead to the computer and any firewire/USB drive or devices.

3. leave it for 10 minutes.

4. Connect back up and reboot. 

http://www.macmaps.com/firewirebug2.html

thumb drive issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.