Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to open photos after new OS update

I am unable to open photos on my Mac since the MacOS Catalina version 10.15.3 update, it isn't opening up and keeps giving QUIT report. If I try to hit Reopen it still does the same thing.

I'm not sure how to fix this. Any workflows out there?

iMac Pro

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 2:58 AM

Can you use Photos at all - if you hold down the option key while launching Photos? Keep holding down options ⌥ until the library chooser dialog appears and select to create a new library. Does Photos open on a new library? See: Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

• If yes, and Photos can start on a test library, try o switch to your main Photos Library by double clicking the main library. Can Photos now find it?
  • If Photos is not running at all, restart your Mac in safe mode, to clear caches. Lauch Photos once, then start normally again and try again: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support
  • If Photos only working on a new library, but not on your regular library, check the location of the Photos Library. Is the library on an unsupported external volume? Check, if your external volume is meeting these requirements: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2020 2:58 AM in response to rhodes65

Can you use Photos at all - if you hold down the option key while launching Photos? Keep holding down options ⌥ until the library chooser dialog appears and select to create a new library. Does Photos open on a new library? See: Create additional photo libraries in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

• If yes, and Photos can start on a test library, try o switch to your main Photos Library by double clicking the main library. Can Photos now find it?
  • If Photos is not running at all, restart your Mac in safe mode, to clear caches. Lauch Photos once, then start normally again and try again: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support
  • If Photos only working on a new library, but not on your regular library, check the location of the Photos Library. Is the library on an unsupported external volume? Check, if your external volume is meeting these requirements: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Unable to open photos after new OS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.