Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with back-up – Two of the disks to back up have the same name. Rename one of the disks named “OS X Base System”

Hi guys, I'm having some problems backing-up my Mac.

When I connect my external hard-drive and try to back-up I get the following message:

"Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “Elements”."

Two of the disks to back up have the same name. Rename one of the disks named “OS X Base System”.

I tried to rename one of the disks, but the other gets automatically renamed too. I also accidentally deleted my previous back-ups, so there's no way I can restore one of the previous ones.

Can you help me figure this out?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 3:43 AM

Try renaming the bottom one (with most space used) as Apple SSD or whatever you like. If the top one gets the same name too, don't mind it, go ahead and try to back up.

On my MacBook Pro, those two disks have the same name but there is no problem backing them up.

Similar questions

2 replies

Problem with back-up – Two of the disks to back up have the same name. Rename one of the disks named “OS X Base System”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.