Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backups - refuses to replace old backups

Hi, I use an external hard drive for Time Machine backups. It recently became full and TM refuses to backup on it anymore. It tries to backup on my Mac instead. This behaviour is confusing because the Mac is not listed as a mount point in tmutils. That being said, 140GB (56%) of my Mac storage is consumed by 'System Data' and everyone points to Time Machine backups as the culprit. The issue is, since it is not listed as a mount point I cannot delete the snapshots because apparently they don't exist. This is really affecting performance and it makes the Mac unusable. I want to take it in for support but I can't even backup anymore and I know they will just do a hard reset on everything. Please help.

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 8:23 PM

A question and a few comments.

What operating system is currently installed on your Mac?

It recently became full and TM refuses to backup on it anymore.

The theory with Time Machine is that once the disk is full, that Time Machine will start to delete the oldest backups to make room for the newest backups. What Apple does not tell us though......or it is in the very small print......is that when the disk is full and the next backup is larger than usual......as might occur after an update, a number of new photos or other data.......Time Machine cannot delete enough of the old backups to make room for the newer larger than normal backup, and everything comes to a halt.

I don't think the snapshots are the real issue here........because snapshots are stored on the Mac......not on the external drive. But, it would not hurt to delete all the snapshots on the Mac just to help clear the clutter.

Open System Preferences and then open Time Machine

Remove the check mark from the box next to Back Up Automatically

Wait another 15-20 minutes. Longer will not hurt

Then, enter the check mark back in the box next to Back Up Automatically

That will delete all the old snapshots and new snapshots will begin. Technically, a snapshot does not take place unless the regular back up drive is not available, so you probably won't need to delete the snapshots on the Mac again for some time.

The next task is to decide what to do about the external drive that is full. Would it be the end of the world if you erased the drive and started over again with a new complete backup? Few users ever need to go back weeks, months and even years to pick up a file. You'll have a nice history of new backups in month or two.

If you cannot bear to think about erasing the backup drive, the only other option becomes adding a new drive and keeping the old drive in a safe place in case you need to go back and pick up a file. After a few months, you might decide that you don't really need all the old backups, so you could erase the drive and use it as a spare......or....set up dual Time Machine backups......or use Carbon Copy Cloner to keep a "clone" of your Mac on the spare drive.

Your turn to comment now.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2022 8:23 PM in response to danengoman

A question and a few comments.

It recently became full and TM refuses to backup on it anymore.

The theory with Time Machine is that once the disk is full, that Time Machine will start to delete the oldest backups to make room for the newest backups. What Apple does not tell us though......or it is in the very small print......is that when the disk is full and the next backup is larger than usual......as might occur after an update, a number of new photos or other data.......Time Machine cannot delete enough of the old backups to make room for the newer larger than normal backup, and everything comes to a halt.

I don't think the snapshots are the real issue here........because snapshots are stored on the Mac......not on the external drive. But, it would not hurt to delete all the snapshots on the Mac just to help clear the clutter.

Open System Preferences and then open Time Machine

Remove the check mark from the box next to Back Up Automatically

Wait another 15-20 minutes. Longer will not hurt

Then, enter the check mark back in the box next to Back Up Automatically

That will delete all the old snapshots and new snapshots will begin. Technically, a snapshot does not take place unless the regular back up drive is not available, so you probably won't need to delete the snapshots on the Mac again for some time.

The next task is to decide what to do about the external drive that is full. Would it be the end of the world if you erased the drive and started over again with a new complete backup? Few users ever need to go back weeks, months and even years to pick up a file. You'll have a nice history of new backups in month or two.

If you cannot bear to think about erasing the backup drive, the only other option becomes adding a new drive and keeping the old drive in a safe place in case you need to go back and pick up a file. After a few months, you might decide that you don't really need all the old backups, so you could erase the drive and use it as a spare......or....set up dual Time Machine backups......or use Carbon Copy Cloner to keep a "clone" of your Mac on the spare drive.

Your turn to comment now.

Jul 3, 2022 10:17 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob, thank you for such a detailed response.

Monterey 12.4

Delete snapshots on the Mac

Originally tried with tmutil however there were no snapshots on the mac. The command tmutil listlocalsnapshotdates returns "Snapshot dates for all disks:" and nothing else. We can assume there are no snapshots on the Mac.

Erase external hard-drive

Erased it and started again. Feels less like a fix and more like postponing the solution for a later date when the external hard drive gets full again. In any case, the computer is backed up again so I appreciate your comments.

Large System Data

Deleted the ~/Library/Caches folder, restarted the device and suddenly the storage situation went from 100MB available to 75GB available. System Data is still taking up an absurd 80GB (32%) but the computer no longer freezes whenever I open Finder so that's a massive plus.

Jul 4, 2022 6:33 AM in response to danengoman

Nice work. It would not hurt to run Disk Utility - First Aid on Macintosh HD to correct any errors that might be slowing things down a bit.

It's good that you are using an external drive connected directly to the Mac because the drive can be formatted in APFS, which is the same way that your Mac's hard drive is formatted. If you were backing up to a network drive......like a Time Capsule......Time Machine must back up to the drive formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), so data on your Mac, formatted APFS has to back up the Time Capsule.....formatted as HFS+. Gosh, I wonder what could go wrong with this type of setup.

Not sure what the capacity of your external drive might be, but the general recommendation is that it should be 2-3 times the size of drive on your Mac to allow for a long history of backups (even though most of us never go back more than a few days to pick up file that we might have deleted by mistake).

Good luck!

Time Machine Backups - refuses to replace old backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.