Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Time Machine won't replace old backup

Mac Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019 OSX Ventura 13.4.1.

Time machine says my external storage drive for backup is full (2 TB) and my Mac is only 1 TB (only 60% full). With previous OSX it just replaces old backup as it go but in Ventura it doesn't do that.

I can't even find the backups to delete them manually anymore so I had to erase/format the backup drive using disk utility and start from first backup again. Any solution to this??

iMac 21.5″

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 10:10 AM

Yeah that's what I did, as written in my original post.

So basically, no solutions from Apple even though you mentioned "not a new issue..."?

Truly on brand, Apple, lol.

2 replies

Sep 28, 2023 9:01 AM in response to bett3r

bett3r wrote:

Mac Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019 OSX Ventura 13.4.1.

Time machine says my external storage drive for backup is full (2 TB) and my Mac is only 1 TB (only 60% full). With previous OSX it just replaces old backup as it go but in Ventura it doesn't do that.

I can't even find the backups to delete them manually anymore so I had to erase/format the backup drive using disk utility and start from first backup again. Any solution to this??

right, this is not a new issue...

I would start a new backup on a new drive moving forward, otherwise reformat the existing drive an start over.

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.6

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Time Machine won't replace old backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.