Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invalid Serial Number for MacBook Air

Attempting to trade-in/get support for my MacBook Air. I get error messages saying that the serial number is invalid thus impeding me from even accessing the hotline to Apple Support.

What could be the cause for this?

MacBook Air was purchased early 2015.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 9:08 AM

lycheejelly Said:

Invalid Serial Number for MacBook Air[...]I get error messages saying that the serial number is invalid[...]

———-

Compare Serial Numbers; Check Validity:

Were to Obtain the Serial Number:

Underneath the MacBook Itself:

• Find the Serial Number underneath the MacBook Air itself.

• On the Mac, Itself:
  1. Login
  2. Go To: the Apple Emblem Logo (locators on the top-left corner of the screen atop by default)
  3. Select” About this Mac...
  4. View: the Serial Number

Are they any Different? If so, that may be a hacked Mac (an assumption on my part).

———-

On Apple’s Site: Check Apple Warranty

Enter the Serial Number, and see what pops up for coverage. See if it seen as a MacBook Air.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2020 9:08 AM in response to lycheejelly

lycheejelly Said:

Invalid Serial Number for MacBook Air[...]I get error messages saying that the serial number is invalid[...]

———-

Compare Serial Numbers; Check Validity:

Were to Obtain the Serial Number:

Underneath the MacBook Itself:

• Find the Serial Number underneath the MacBook Air itself.

• On the Mac, Itself:
  1. Login
  2. Go To: the Apple Emblem Logo (locators on the top-left corner of the screen atop by default)
  3. Select” About this Mac...
  4. View: the Serial Number

Are they any Different? If so, that may be a hacked Mac (an assumption on my part).

———-

On Apple’s Site: Check Apple Warranty

Enter the Serial Number, and see what pops up for coverage. See if it seen as a MacBook Air.

Invalid Serial Number for MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.