Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best USB Adaptor without paying a fortune

Hi,

I simply want to be able to add a USB keyboard / Mouse and printer to my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I understand I need to buy a "hub" ? so if anyone has any advice or experience I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 1:40 PM

I have found good hubs from companies called Inland and Hootoo at a store called Microcenter ... they were not a really big brand name but they worked well. You might get one that has "power only" ports for charging. I suggest getting a hub that has external AC power to limit the strain on the computer port.

About $40 US was enough for me to get a 7-port one that works well. I do not know the names of stores in Europe that are like Best Buy in the US, but any one of those should have a reliable unit.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2020 1:40 PM in response to Kieran Brennan

I have found good hubs from companies called Inland and Hootoo at a store called Microcenter ... they were not a really big brand name but they worked well. You might get one that has "power only" ports for charging. I suggest getting a hub that has external AC power to limit the strain on the computer port.

About $40 US was enough for me to get a 7-port one that works well. I do not know the names of stores in Europe that are like Best Buy in the US, but any one of those should have a reliable unit.

Feb 8, 2020 10:29 AM in response to Tesserax

I need one for my printer and one for my keyboard (my keyboard has an usb port built in, so I hook my mouse into that one.

So I suppose, 2 ports only required.

I'm not sure about what type of USBs the peripherals are, tbh.

I dunno if I should pay €80 or €10 - I just want basic adaptor, don't really want to add any other devices or future-proof if you know what I mean...

Thanks for your reply.

Feb 8, 2020 7:42 PM in response to Kieran Brennan

For future proofing I would suggest an adapter that has, at least, four ports and is self-powered. There are a lot to choose from in this category. 

Something as simple as this AmazonBasics 4 Port USB to USB 3.0 Hub to any of these StarTech.com USB 3.0 Hubs. With the latter, you have the opportunity to choose from a number of options that you would want this hub to support.

Best USB Adaptor without paying a fortune

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.