Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anybody know of a wired usb hub that will..

...That will handle printers, external drives. I don’t have enough ports on my 2017 iMac, and no hub I’ve tried will connect printer or hard drives or super drive or external monitor. I get the message that those things have to be connected directly to the Mac. I’m Playing “musical ports” all day long.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 1:18 PM

FWIW, a SuperDrive has to be plugged directly into a USB port. As far as other peripherals, I have a couple hubs, one powered, one not and I can plug various things into each. If a drive is powered it can be plugged into a non-powered hub. otherwise it has to be a powered hub. It really depends on a number of factors.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2020 1:18 PM in response to nowsthetime

FWIW, a SuperDrive has to be plugged directly into a USB port. As far as other peripherals, I have a couple hubs, one powered, one not and I can plug various things into each. If a drive is powered it can be plugged into a non-powered hub. otherwise it has to be a powered hub. It really depends on a number of factors.

Feb 15, 2020 12:55 PM in response to nowsthetime

There are options to connect external storage and mid- and upper-end printers to the network.

Examples of Network Attached Storage (NAS) include Synology NAS arrays and FreeNAS. Synology NAS also offers a variety of other network services and features beyond storage services, all provided from the NAS. As can FreeNAS. Examples of network-connected printers include the Brother MFC series, and similar models from other vendors.

Larger direct-attached storage on Mac often involves Thunderbolt storage, with the older first or second-generation Thunderbolt connectors, or with third-generation via the USB-C connector. Thunderbolt locally will be faster than NAS.

Promise Pegasus arrays are one of many examples of this.

Closer to what you’re asking for here, Satechi offers a chin dock for iMac, and there are many other sorts of docks around, many of which will work just fine with iMac and USB-A devices.

Accreting piles of USB-connected widgets tends not to scale, as you’re now discovering. (It’s better than it was too, as USB 3 is decently speedy, and power control has gotten better. Earlier USB was much slower.)

Does anybody know of a wired usb hub that will..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.