Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet connected, but there is no internet connection

Hi. I have never had to use ethernet on my early 2015 Macbook pro before. This is the first time I am trying to connect to ethernet directly. I am using Apple's thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor. Here is a screenshot of the network page.

I tried to disconnect the wifi and connect to the ethernet, it says there is "no internet". I would really appreciate some help regarding solving this issue.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 10:55 AM

reez_r said:

"Ethernet connected, but there is no internet connection"

Some Other Thoughts:

• Contact Your Networks Administrator (if applicable): - IP Addresses may be getting in the way (though DHCP is being used. Also, the Mac Address may be already in use, conciliating with something else (Meaning it is hacked).

• Reset the Router (If an available option): - Reset it, wait 30 seconds, then power it back on.

• Connect Something Else into the Ethernet Port: If that works, then it is the device (your MacBook Pro) itself.

• Create a New Administrator: If that works, then it is something mis-configured in the current user

• Rid of Security Software: Security software make be overruling this. Such software is unnecessary for use on a Mac, as its firewall settings are getting in the way. Use the software removal tool to remove it, as temporary files would remain, and still get in the way.

• Try a Different USB Port and Adapter: Connections may be malfunctioning and cables may be disconnected.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2020 10:55 AM in response to reez_r

reez_r said:

"Ethernet connected, but there is no internet connection"

Some Other Thoughts:

• Contact Your Networks Administrator (if applicable): - IP Addresses may be getting in the way (though DHCP is being used. Also, the Mac Address may be already in use, conciliating with something else (Meaning it is hacked).

• Reset the Router (If an available option): - Reset it, wait 30 seconds, then power it back on.

• Connect Something Else into the Ethernet Port: If that works, then it is the device (your MacBook Pro) itself.

• Create a New Administrator: If that works, then it is something mis-configured in the current user

• Rid of Security Software: Security software make be overruling this. Such software is unnecessary for use on a Mac, as its firewall settings are getting in the way. Use the software removal tool to remove it, as temporary files would remain, and still get in the way.

• Try a Different USB Port and Adapter: Connections may be malfunctioning and cables may be disconnected.

Feb 8, 2020 10:42 AM in response to reez_r

reez_r said:

"Ethernet connected, but there is no internet connection[...]. I am using Apple's thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor.[...] I tried to disconnect the wifi and connect to the ethernet, it says there is "no internet".[...]"

-------

Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

Sometimes changes take place while your Mac is being used, making it operate not as intended (In this case, the Thunderbolt Port). Use these Links:

Feb 8, 2020 11:56 AM in response to reez_r

reexamines_r Said:

"I should have been more clear about the situation. I recently moved into a dorm. It only has ethernet (weird, I know). So I tried to connect the cable to my Mac, and the screenshot I posted is what it has been configured automatically."

-------

DHCP Vs. Static Network Connection:

You're Using DHCP. So, that is why you are getting this information automatically. Ask the networks administrator, if you need a static network connection - one that is configured manually

As for DHCP:

Try Renewing your DHCP Lease:

1. Go Here: System Preferences
  2. Network
  3. Wi-Fi
  4. Advanced Button
  5. TCP/IP Tab
  6. Click: Renew DHCP Lease

Screenshot:

Feb 8, 2020 1:20 PM in response to reez_r

Your IP numbers and your DNS server address are ALL references to strictly-private IP address that can NOT be Routed, and your Mac has a Router's IP address. That is all completely goofy.

Start again, and create a new named "Location" (NOT the default) using this article as your guide. What you got before is nonsense.

How to use network locations on your Mac - Apple Support

Feb 8, 2020 11:00 AM in response to reez_r

Off hand I would guess the problem is with the DNS server or Router address. My Router address is the base address of the IP block used by NAT. In your setup they are not the same. You can change the DNS server address by clicking on the Advanced button. In the top navbar click on the DNS button. In the left list click on the Add [+] button, then enter this address: 208.67.222.222. Click on the OK button then click on the Apply button. Subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0.

Where did the addresses entered in your image come from? What, if anything, is in the instructions that came with the adapter? I would start by changing the DNS address and see what happens. The address I provided is an open DNS address that you can use.

Feb 8, 2020 11:27 AM in response to reez_r

Then you should check with the dorm's IT support about the problem and configuration info. Have you at least tried changing the DNS server. Not having the right DNS server address is very often the cause of your problem. From what you have already posted, it doesn't appear there is any problem with the adapter. It is working.

Whenever I have run into a problem like yours, in just about every case it was a server address problem.

Ethernet connected, but there is no internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.