Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet connected but no internet Access

I use MacBook Pro 12, 2020 on MacOs Monterey version 12.1, and I successfully installed the Ethernet LAN Network Adapter. The network setting indicates it is connected, but I cannot access the internet. So I disconnected, restart the the laptop, and attached the adapter, but I still could not access the internet.

I need a stable internet connection for my work. Great appreciate your help how to make it work.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 5:30 PM

10 replies

Feb 28, 2022 9:19 AM in response to bleat

If you have enabled ANY VPN features in system preferences > network

these can interferer with regular network operation.

“Limit IP address Tracking” has been shown to be an issue on some Networks:

Safari > preferences > privacy > [√] Hide IP address fromTrackers

If you continue to have trouble after using these steps, create a new named Network "Location" -- a collection of settings applied "all at once" when you select it. Every new named "Location" you create starts with all defaults, which lets you walk away from any bogus settings that might be causing you trouble:

How to use network locations on your Mac - Apple Support

Feb 28, 2022 9:13 AM in response to bengzki

I have the same issue and nothing fixes it. Unbelievably frustrating.

I have a TP Link AX1800 router with three ethernet cables plugged in: an Apple Tv, a gaming PC, and a game console, all of which I use regularly.

I took the one out of the Apple Tv and plugged it into my Macbook Pro 16" and it immediately connected.

I turned off WiFi on the laptop

Ethernet reports Connected with a green dot in the Mac Network page.

It has a proper IP address and network info.

There is no internet access.

I tried the solution of 1.1.1.1 and have no idea what a Cloudfast Splash page means but I got nothing. Just a half a progress bar in the browser that went nowhere.

I've restarted the computer a dozen times, the router also. I've given it a manual IP address and info, changed IPv6 to Local Link Only (based on a troubleshooting tip online) and none of these solutions or any others I have tried repeated after searching online works. It just shouldn't be this complicated to get an ethernet connection from a $3k computer. I don't use any networking services like VPN and have not touched any settings. My older 15" Pro connects to ethernet just fine so no clue what's going on there but I've wasted most of my morning trying this and that all to no avail.

WiFi works fine.

Feb 28, 2022 10:13 AM in response to bleat

Self-assigned IP address is the address the computer assigns itself so that it can identify itself while negotiating with the Router. The Router should provide a good local IP address so quickly that most users have never even seen a self assigned IP address.

This says that you can not talk to your Router in a reasonable way.

Most of these issues are caused by really fundamental physical issues like bad ports on a router or bad cables.

Feb 20, 2022 5:37 PM in response to bengzki

when the status in

system preferences > network

shows as connected...

launch a browser and enter: 1.1.1.1

if you get the CloudFlare splash page, you have connection, but may have a Domain Name server (DNS) issue.

(CloudFlare is NOT part of the solution in this case, they just have the simplest, easiest to remember numeric IP address that answers with a web page.)

Feb 28, 2022 9:25 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I have no idea what you mean. I mentioned in my post that I don't use VPN services or anything. I just went into System Preferences, Network and see nothing in there that says VPN so whatever this computer came with out of the box as settings is what it has now. I haven't touched, changed, or set up anything. I plugged it in, that's it.

Adding in:

I created a New location and named it and that didnt' change the situation at all.

I've deleted the Ethernet connection, restarted the computer, added a new connection, chose Ethernet.

I could go on all day about all the things I've tried after reading here and Stack Exchange and nothing has any affect. The green light is on, it's connnected, has an IP address but no internet at all.

Feb 28, 2022 9:41 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I did that earlier but just tried again

Made a new location called AA

Deleted every connection in there)

Added Ethernet only

Red dot (cable connected but no internet)

If I set up the connection manually and type in an IP address and info, I get the green dot that it's connected successfully but there's still no internet.

If I change it back to DHCP, I get a red dot that says the cable is connected but no Ip address and it eventually gets a self-assigned one.

Ethernet connected but no internet Access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.