Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bing removal

I have recently noticed Search Engine Bing showing up on my Safari. How can I get rid of Bing? Mac 10.12.6 Sierra.

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 6:30 PM

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions. Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-bing-redirect-virus.html

How to get rid of Bing.com Redirect - Virus removal guide

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2020 6:30 PM in response to whiskey sour

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions. Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-bing-redirect-virus.html

How to get rid of Bing.com Redirect - Virus removal guide

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Feb 8, 2020 6:39 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you for answering but I have some questions.

1..Is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac a program approved by Apple--I didnt think Mac required any of that type of thing?

2--You show two other links, a 2-spyware one and a Redirect virus removal guide, am I to click and open those, or are those two

of the ones you say NOT to download in the previous paragraph "Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles"?

3--You say 'go to safari'....is that AFTER I used the Malwarebytes you mention?

Thank you and look forward to your reply.

Feb 8, 2020 6:50 PM in response to whiskey sour

You are welcome. I have read posts that stated Apple Support recommended Malwarebytes. Macs do not require anti-virus programs, but they can get adware/malware, which is what Malwarebytes tries to remove. It is one of two programs often recomended by long time posters. I have tested it several times.

I would try Malwarebytes first. The articles have some manual uninstall instructions, but contain downloads for other programs. You can try the manual uninstall instructions if necessary, but I wouldn't download any of the programs listed in the articles.

You can do the extension check before or after.

Bing removal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.