Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 2017 won't update to catalina

I have tried everything I can find. When I go to update, it tells me I am up to date with Mojave 14. whatever. I tried installing from the app store but got the message that update is not found; requested update is not available. I tried starting in recovery mode, safe mode, and guest user mode and still nothing. Finally, I found where someone added this link that said download Catalina. I waited forever for the download and ran it and it said it couldn't continue because it requires... wait for it... Catalina! I am very frustrated. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 8:58 PM

You must upgrade to Catalina from Mojave. You cannot update. You have downloaded the wrong installer. Please download the right one: Get macOS Catalina.

Before You Upgrade macOS

1. Fix any problems before upgrading.
  2. Run First Aid in Disk Utility while booted from your Recovery HD.
  3. Backup. Make a bootable clone using CarbonCopy Cloner or use TimeMachine.
  4. Be sure your startup disk has 18-20GB of free space during the installation.
  5. Upgrade third-party software for compatibility. See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps. If you have mission critical software, then DO NOT upgrade until you know that software is compatible with the version of macOS you are about to install.
  6. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  7. Download the installer which will be in the Applications folder. Quit the installer after it opens, then make a copy of the installer and save it in the Downloads folder. The one in the Applications folder will be deleted after a successful installation.
  8. The download is large, anywhere between 5 and 9GBs. It takes time to complete. Be patient.
  9. Double-click on the installer in the Applications folder. Click on the start button to begin the installation.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2020 8:58 PM in response to teenbeano

You must upgrade to Catalina from Mojave. You cannot update. You have downloaded the wrong installer. Please download the right one: Get macOS Catalina.

Before You Upgrade macOS

1. Fix any problems before upgrading.
  2. Run First Aid in Disk Utility while booted from your Recovery HD.
  3. Backup. Make a bootable clone using CarbonCopy Cloner or use TimeMachine.
  4. Be sure your startup disk has 18-20GB of free space during the installation.
  5. Upgrade third-party software for compatibility. See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps. If you have mission critical software, then DO NOT upgrade until you know that software is compatible with the version of macOS you are about to install.
  6. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  7. Download the installer which will be in the Applications folder. Quit the installer after it opens, then make a copy of the installer and save it in the Downloads folder. The one in the Applications folder will be deleted after a successful installation.
  8. The download is large, anywhere between 5 and 9GBs. It takes time to complete. Be patient.
  9. Double-click on the installer in the Applications folder. Click on the start button to begin the installation.

Macbook 2017 won't update to catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.