Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find location of captured video

I am trying to find where iMovie stores captured video on the hard drive through finder? I am in the process of importing video from a miniDV camcorder and I captured several videos before iMovies crashed. The iMovie event that I captured the videos to are now empty of all the captured clips but the disk utility shows the hard drive is almost full so I know the files are somewhere. Ideally I can restore the iMovies events so that I export the video to mp4. If nothing else, I need to find them so I can delete them to free up space to reimport and continue on.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2020 4:48 AM

Try this.

First , if your hard drive is not shown on the desktop then Finder>Preferences>General and select hard disks to show on desktop.

Second,

Double click on hard drive icon and go to Movies folder.

In Movies folder find the appropriate iMovie Library, you may have more than 1.

Control click on this iMovie library and select Show Package Contents.

Select the appropriate Event and then the Original media.

You may not be able to restore the original events but maybe start again if you can locate the original media.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2020 4:48 AM in response to okeetd

Try this.

First , if your hard drive is not shown on the desktop then Finder>Preferences>General and select hard disks to show on desktop.

Second,

Double click on hard drive icon and go to Movies folder.

In Movies folder find the appropriate iMovie Library, you may have more than 1.

Control click on this iMovie library and select Show Package Contents.

Select the appropriate Event and then the Original media.

You may not be able to restore the original events but maybe start again if you can locate the original media.

Feb 9, 2020 8:50 AM in response to okeetd

The suggestion made by thesurreyfriends in an earlier post should work.

You could also try looking in the iMovie Backups folder on your Mac to see if you can open iMovie in a back up of your library and find your events intact there. To get to the backups folder, follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous iMovie library backups. Click on the one with the most recent date preceding the iMovie crash. iMovie will open in that library. See if you events appear intact.

-- Rich

Can't find location of captured video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.