Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the Match feature of Apple Music change files I import as lossless to their compressed AAC format?

I'm in the midst of upgrading my music collection, primarily by copying high-quality CDs into my iTunes library, and I'm using Apple Lossless Encoder, which, as the name states, is lossless.

I know that in matching songs on other devices such as my iPad or iPhone Apple Music will automatically transcode the file to its proprietary AAC format (a.k.a. Matched AAC audio file in the Kind column within the Music app).

I know also that songs I download to include in my library via Apple Music subscription, these are also AAC compressed files.

What I don't know , and what I would like to know, is once I import a CD using the lossless codec (whether I rip it from a disc or transcode the file from a FLAC version), does Apple Music, in matching it, downgrade the quality of the file on my hard drive?

It seems that they do, as I've had higher bit-rate files that now max out at 256.

BUT ... is this the bit rate of the Apple Music matched file, or is it the new bit rate of the file on my drive?

Help!

Thanks all.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 9, 2020 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 2:21 AM

Hi,

Your lossless files in your music library on your computer are not changed automatically by Apple Music. You would need to take specific action to change the files on your computer . For example, if you opt to remove download, the matched tracks will show as 256 Kbps and if you download you get that version. Likewise you get the transcribed 256 Kbps version for uploaded tracks.

As you are already aware tracks on other devices will be 256 Kbps. I use match and In my library, I have matched tracks that if have not modified and are still 320 Kbps mp3, Apple lossless or AIFF. These tracks are 256 Kbps on my other devices.

As already mentioned, keep a separate back up of your lossless files..

Jim

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2020 2:21 AM in response to GPaas

Hi,

Your lossless files in your music library on your computer are not changed automatically by Apple Music. You would need to take specific action to change the files on your computer . For example, if you opt to remove download, the matched tracks will show as 256 Kbps and if you download you get that version. Likewise you get the transcribed 256 Kbps version for uploaded tracks.

As you are already aware tracks on other devices will be 256 Kbps. I use match and In my library, I have matched tracks that if have not modified and are still 320 Kbps mp3, Apple lossless or AIFF. These tracks are 256 Kbps on my other devices.

As already mentioned, keep a separate back up of your lossless files..

Jim

Feb 9, 2020 11:40 PM in response to GPaas

This is what I experienced:

with Apple Music in OS Catalina on a new MacBook, all my iTunes library AIFF files in OS Mojave on an older MacBook were changed to AAC files in my Apple Music library and on the hard drive.

Here is what I have learned:

1] iCloud Music Library is not meant for backups. Always keep a backup of your original files;

2] you have very little control over how Apple Music handles your music in the cloud with iCloud Music Library turned on. To keep (for example, AIFF versions) you would have to sync to your devices manually from the original AIFF files, or use a cloud-based service that would allow you to upload and play your original file from the cloud;

Hope that helps.

Feb 10, 2020 12:54 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Sorry but I'm confused! I purchased a new MacBook Pro in October 2019. It had OS Mojave. After I upgraded to Catalina, on my hard drive in Users/my name/Music/Music/Media/Music all my files that are AIFFs in iTunes on my old 2013 MacBook Pro with OS Mojave were changed to "MPEG-4 audio" files. I do not know if this was supposed to happen or not.

Feb 11, 2020 1:31 PM in response to GPaas

Thanks all for your thoughtful responses. I've turned off Apple Music and Match, and I'm repairing my library from a back-up which I'm thankful I had. Once backed up I will turn on Apple Music again, but I will keep Match off and sync via a direct wired or wireless connection on my own network.

If it still goes awry, I'll be back.

Mar 1, 2020 9:51 AM in response to technology today

I have not yet turned back on my Apple Music account. I’m taking this opportunity to re-rip and clean up my library from the mess it had become because of Match and then Apple Music streaming. When Match was first introduced and I first set it up on my machines, it wrote over a significant amount of metadata, and changed a significant number of songs from those I had on my drive to those to which it “matched.” Thus, live or rare versions of a song (say, a live version of “Born to Run” to the LP version, or worse, it would replace a Bob Mould song with a Beach Boys song, both good songs, sure, but WTF) became whatever the Apple Music servers read the metadata to be. I spent hours on the phone with Apple tech support to no avail, and I have spent the intervening years fixing the odd song here and there when I noticed, but it was a pox on my house that I just dealt with and/or learned to live with. Life is short, etc.

But now, I happen to have the time so I’ve removed what I believe are all the corrupt (changed) files, which turned out to be 11,000+ songs, and I’m re-loading the discs that are important enough to me to make sure I have the best available audio quality. Whatever else I am missing I figure I can stream hi-fi from Tidal.

So ... TL/DR: Not yet.

Mar 15, 2020 6:45 AM in response to GPaas

I had exactly the same problem, I don't know if it was converted automatically after my iTunes Match subscription finished , I didn't renew, then I changed my mind and renewed it. maybe it's the case, cause I didn't delete and re-download anything, I just had my beautiful HQ collection from HD tracks replaced with matched AAC 😢 , and it seems I cannot re-download it again. So, please watch out...

Mar 15, 2020 7:11 AM in response to jyad

Hi,

Did you make a backup of your original library ? If you did not delete or redownload, the original tracks should still be on your computer. iTunes Match does not have a function to automatically convert tracks. The conversion only happens we you delete original and download the matched version. If you have to download from Apple server, you will get an AAC version. Likewise if you downloaded tracks on another device.

Jim

Does the Match feature of Apple Music change files I import as lossless to their compressed AAC format?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.