Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I own the file converted to lossless?

I have purchased a lot of music from Apple going back to the iTunes days. This is all in 256 AAC format. If I select these files from Apple’s current catalogue with the hope it will play the higher res lossless version, Apple Music will still play the lower res file that is in the MacBooks local library. Apple Music provides an easy way to convert the local file to lossless. In this case, a second file becomes available in the local library. If I delete the AAC format of the file, the one I purchased, do I own the lossless version? I don’t want to have duplicate versions of the song on my local hard drive, but I also don’t want to delete files I have paid for.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 10:00 AM

Hi,

If you delete the AAC version, you can download most Matched & Purchased tracks as lossless with an Apple Music subscription. The lossless version has DRM and is only available as long as you have an active Apple Music subscription. I suggest that you back up AAC versions. It is worth noting that if you decide to cancel your subscription, you shouldl remove DRN version and re download AAC version.

Jim

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2022 10:00 AM in response to Gottago

Hi,

If you delete the AAC version, you can download most Matched & Purchased tracks as lossless with an Apple Music subscription. The lossless version has DRM and is only available as long as you have an active Apple Music subscription. I suggest that you back up AAC versions. It is worth noting that if you decide to cancel your subscription, you shouldl remove DRN version and re download AAC version.

Jim

Do I own the file converted to lossless?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.