Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing voice memos into Garage Band

I tried to respond to someone who posted about this a while back, but for some reason, it wouldn't let me reply. They weren't able to bring a voice memo into Garage Band because they would get a message that the "AAC file was rights protected. It's ridiculous that your own recording is rights protected to the point you can't even use it yourself. Apple never responded and no one ever had an answer. I had the same problem today, and figured out a solution. I imported the voice memo into iTunes. Then I selected the "song," went to the file menu and selected "Convert," then "Create MP3 version." iTunes duplicated the file. Then I selected the new file, went back up to the File menu and selected "show in finder." Then I dragged the newly created MP3 file into Garage Band, and it accepted it.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2020 9:23 AM

Nice work-around. Yeah, it does seem crazy to get a permission error for your own recording. One thing I might add. I think you can drag the track straight from iTunes. I think. I might be wrong. Just one possible way to reduce the multiple steps of your work-around.

1 reply

Importing voice memos into Garage Band

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.