Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared folder permissions in Catalina

My wife and I both have user logins on the iMac and to facilitate shared work, we use the Shared folder in the Users directory. Up until recently we've never had an issue, although I'm not sure thinking back that we've ever actually tried this!

I have created a file in the Shared folder with the textedit app. I can update this file with no problem. Using my wife's user id, she can open the file but if she makes any changes to it, she can't save it as she doesn't have permission. Checking permission of the file using Get Info I see:

Katherine - Read & Write

andrew johnson - Read & Write

wheel - Read only

everyone - Read & Write.

This isn't just with a simple rtf file created with textedit, it happens with any file, e.g. an Excel file, stored in that folder. My expectation is that the file permissions noted above should allow both of us to edit that file.

It is the same vice-versa as well: if she creates a file she can update it but I can only read it irrespective of permissions.

Has Catalina introduced some behind the scenes security setting that prevents users changing documents in that folder when they are not the owner?

Anyone have any other ideas to fix this?

Thanks

Andrew

Posted on Feb 11, 2020 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2020 2:01 PM

Nothing has changed in Catalina. It has always been that way.

When you add a user to the Get Info permissions, it adds an Access Control Entry (ACE) to give those permissions. It should allow that user to read and write, but I'm not able to test it on my Mac right now.

You can add an ACL to the Shared folder that will allow certain users to edit the others files. Create a group in Users & Groups and add each of you to the group.

Then, modify this command changing GroupName to whatever you chose for the group name and run it in Terminal.

sudo chmod +a "group:GroupName allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit" "/Users/Shared"

sudo will ask for your password, but won't show anything when you type it in. Just type the password and hit return.

That will allow you both to edit any file each of you creates in that folder.

Here's some info on the ACL:

https://techion.com.au/blog/2018/6/9/share-with-directory-permission-inheritance

And some info on how macOS determines effective permissions:

https://www.byteworks.com/understanding-osx-permissions/

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2020 2:01 PM in response to andrewfrommilton keynes

Nothing has changed in Catalina. It has always been that way.

When you add a user to the Get Info permissions, it adds an Access Control Entry (ACE) to give those permissions. It should allow that user to read and write, but I'm not able to test it on my Mac right now.

You can add an ACL to the Shared folder that will allow certain users to edit the others files. Create a group in Users & Groups and add each of you to the group.

Then, modify this command changing GroupName to whatever you chose for the group name and run it in Terminal.

sudo chmod +a "group:GroupName allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit" "/Users/Shared"

sudo will ask for your password, but won't show anything when you type it in. Just type the password and hit return.

That will allow you both to edit any file each of you creates in that folder.

Here's some info on the ACL:

https://techion.com.au/blog/2018/6/9/share-with-directory-permission-inheritance

And some info on how macOS determines effective permissions:

https://www.byteworks.com/understanding-osx-permissions/

Shared folder permissions in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.