You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages docs won't open

I have had this iMac for two years. Normally when I create a doc and want to reopen it later I right click and it offers me "open attachment". Now it won't offer me that and I can't find any other way of opening my docs. Any suggestions?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 2:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 10:39 PM

HI MissP'

"Unable to open Pages files" is an issue that has been mentioned fairly frequently since the introduction of macOS Catalina.

One suggestion that has received several "That worked" responses is to Restart the computer.

YOUr Mac goes through a series of housekeeping tasks each time it is started, and sometimes a simple restart is enough to sweep out the cobwebs blocking proper actions.

If the normal restart does not do the job, then try a restart into Safe Mode.

The Safe Mode restart takes longer, as it runs a more extensive list of housekeeping and maintenance tasks. It also skips installation of several non-essential supporting software, and you will notice a degradation of video performance while in this mode.

Try opening one or two Pages documents while in Safe mode. Then close them and do a regular restart and try it again.

Steps to a Safe Mode Restart:

• Initiate the restart from the Apple Menu if the conputer if it is running, or using the Power button if it is currently shut down.
  • As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the shift key.
  • Keep shift pressed until you see the log in page, then release it.

To exit Safe Mode:

• Open the Apple Menu and choose Restart.
  • Wait for the Log in screen.

More information regarding Safe Mode here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Regards,

Barry

PS:

You should have several options for opening a Pages file.

• Double click the file's icon in Finder or in an email to which it is an attachment.
  • In Finder, drag the file icon to the Dock and drop it on the icon of the application with which you want to open it.
  • Launch Pages, go to the File Menu and choose Open, in the Open dialogue, navigate to the file, select it and click Open.
  • If you have had the file open recently, go to the File menu and choose Open recent, then select the file.
  • Go to the Dock, click and hold on the Pages icon, and when the recents list appears, select the file.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 13, 2020 10:39 PM in response to MissPiggy100

HI MissP'

"Unable to open Pages files" is an issue that has been mentioned fairly frequently since the introduction of macOS Catalina.

One suggestion that has received several "That worked" responses is to Restart the computer.

YOUr Mac goes through a series of housekeeping tasks each time it is started, and sometimes a simple restart is enough to sweep out the cobwebs blocking proper actions.

If the normal restart does not do the job, then try a restart into Safe Mode.

The Safe Mode restart takes longer, as it runs a more extensive list of housekeeping and maintenance tasks. It also skips installation of several non-essential supporting software, and you will notice a degradation of video performance while in this mode.

Try opening one or two Pages documents while in Safe mode. Then close them and do a regular restart and try it again.

Steps to a Safe Mode Restart:

• Initiate the restart from the Apple Menu if the conputer if it is running, or using the Power button if it is currently shut down.
  • As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the shift key.
  • Keep shift pressed until you see the log in page, then release it.

To exit Safe Mode:

• Open the Apple Menu and choose Restart.
  • Wait for the Log in screen.

More information regarding Safe Mode here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Regards,

Barry

PS:

You should have several options for opening a Pages file.

• Double click the file's icon in Finder or in an email to which it is an attachment.
  • In Finder, drag the file icon to the Dock and drop it on the icon of the application with which you want to open it.
  • Launch Pages, go to the File Menu and choose Open, in the Open dialogue, navigate to the file, select it and click Open.
  • If you have had the file open recently, go to the File menu and choose Open recent, then select the file.
  • Go to the Dock, click and hold on the Pages icon, and when the recents list appears, select the file.

Pages docs won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.