Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 MacBook Pro Thunderbolt/USB-C ports loose

I have a 2017 15" MacBook Pro that I purchased refurbished a while back. It is no longer under warranty.

I know this is a common issue, but my thunderbolt ports are loose. Not like the cable will just fall out, but sometimes when I grab the hub I have plugged in to plug in a USB 3 cable or an SD card, it'll pull the cable out juuuust far enough to disconnect (the power and my external HDMI monitor is also run through the hub, so all of that stops for a second).

But, worse than that, which is just an inconvenience, are when I have hard drives plugged in on the other side of the computer. Even bumping a hard drive or its cable can, once again, knock the plug juuuust enough to disconnect the drive. As I work with photos and videos, it isn't tolerable to have all of your media go offline in the middle of a project.

I know basically you have to take it in to Apple. Has anyone ever paid to have theirs replaced/repaired out of pocket? And how much was it?

I have some other issues with the ports in that they don't all function the same - the second port on the left won't work at all and I'm constantly getting errors that say something like "USB devices disabled due to power consumption" when I plug certain things in. Like some hard drives. Or some USB hubs. Things that worked on my 2011 Macbook.

Thanks for any help or advice!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 11:34 AM

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

This is a hardware repair problem. You can't fix it here.

FYI: These are user-only forums. You are not speaking to Apple. if you need to speak with Apple Support, then contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2020 11:34 AM in response to Filmmaker_Matt

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

This is a hardware repair problem. You can't fix it here.

FYI: These are user-only forums. You are not speaking to Apple. if you need to speak with Apple Support, then contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

2017 MacBook Pro Thunderbolt/USB-C ports loose

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.