Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Noto fonts

Has anyone figured out how to remove the long list of Noto fonts from their system? They show up in Illustrator and Photoshop and can't be removed in FontBook. They are multi-lingual Google fonts that somehow pop up in my list.

Thanks. Here is the list-- and it's not even all of them.

Mac Pro

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 10:21 AM

I am not a font expert, but I suspect that these fonts are among those installed with Apple's OS. Apple does this so the same OS is able to be used around the world, avoiding the need for multiple operating systems. Removing the Apple OS installed fonts can cause problems in some cases, so it must be done with caution. That said, I removed all of my foreign language fonts and greatly reduced the list I had to scroll through. It can be done if you have an external HD with an operating system on it. If so, restart your computer from the external drive's OS. Then you can enter the Macintosh HD/System/Library/ Fonts folder and then drag those foreign language fonts out onto the trash and then empty it. I would recommend against removing any other fonts, however. I hope this information is helpful.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2020 10:21 AM in response to alyssa-wb

I am not a font expert, but I suspect that these fonts are among those installed with Apple's OS. Apple does this so the same OS is able to be used around the world, avoiding the need for multiple operating systems. Removing the Apple OS installed fonts can cause problems in some cases, so it must be done with caution. That said, I removed all of my foreign language fonts and greatly reduced the list I had to scroll through. It can be done if you have an external HD with an operating system on it. If so, restart your computer from the external drive's OS. Then you can enter the Macintosh HD/System/Library/ Fonts folder and then drag those foreign language fonts out onto the trash and then empty it. I would recommend against removing any other fonts, however. I hope this information is helpful.

Feb 14, 2020 10:28 AM in response to Ronasara

Thank you-- does this solution require you to start your computer up every time from an external HD? This seems like a big inconvenience. Alternatively, could Apple make this font just Noto as a font family, and then where you normally select the font style, you could select your language or other variables? That way it would only show up as one item, not a big deal. This would be a much more sensible solution. Noto is extremely aggravating.

Thanks again,

Alyssa

Feb 14, 2020 10:41 AM in response to alyssa-wb

Ronasara is correct. All OS installed fonts are in the System folder. Not only are there no font managers that can disable any fonts in the System folder, in Catalina, the entire System is on a read only partition (while booted to that volume).

The only "easy" way to remove unneeded/unwanted fonts is to boot to a different drive/partition, and then modify the non-startup drive.

Noto fonts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.