Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13.3.1 battery drains quickly

Since updating to iOS 13.3.1 my iPhone X is draining very quickly. I’m getting about 40% less usage before battery goes dead.

iPhone X

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 5:53 PM

Same issues here: Both iPhone 6S and iPhone X are severely impacted.

The battery health reported on my iPhone 6S is 95%. I tried “reset all settings” and saw no difference. I then downloaded the ipsw file to iTunes, put the phone into recovery and reloaded everything, even going through the initial setup dialog as new device and reentering all my account information, etc. The iPhone 6S is now lucky to make it 12 hours on a charge when it used to last almost two days before last week’s 13.3.1 update. If I actually do anything that requires interacting with the screen, the phone gets very hot and the battery will lose up to 40% of its charge in about five minutes. Even just scrolling up and down in Apple’s own Settings app is enough to deplete the battery at that rate.

I also have an iPhone X that is similarly affected. My iPhone X battery health is 100%. I carried the iPhone X for about 10 hours today and the charge had dropped to 88%. That is probably more than normal, but within the range of uncertainty. When I got home, the iPhone X connected to Wi-Fi as usual. I browsed a web page on Walmart for about five minutes and the phone became very hot and the battery dropped 7% in that time. That is highly unusual for the phone to get very hot just from a few minutes of web browsing. Also five minutes of web browsing would normally use 1% of the battery charge, maybe less.

The usefulness of our iPhones is being severely impacted by the unexplained battery drain as we can only count on a few hours of use - if we carry and don’t actively use the phones. If we interact with the screen, the battery might be empty in as few as 15 minutes.

I also am concerned the severe heating could be damaging the internal circuitry or battery because the phones are obviously getting even hotter in the interior than they are on the outside.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2020 5:53 PM in response to korn999

Same issues here: Both iPhone 6S and iPhone X are severely impacted.

The battery health reported on my iPhone 6S is 95%. I tried “reset all settings” and saw no difference. I then downloaded the ipsw file to iTunes, put the phone into recovery and reloaded everything, even going through the initial setup dialog as new device and reentering all my account information, etc. The iPhone 6S is now lucky to make it 12 hours on a charge when it used to last almost two days before last week’s 13.3.1 update. If I actually do anything that requires interacting with the screen, the phone gets very hot and the battery will lose up to 40% of its charge in about five minutes. Even just scrolling up and down in Apple’s own Settings app is enough to deplete the battery at that rate.

I also have an iPhone X that is similarly affected. My iPhone X battery health is 100%. I carried the iPhone X for about 10 hours today and the charge had dropped to 88%. That is probably more than normal, but within the range of uncertainty. When I got home, the iPhone X connected to Wi-Fi as usual. I browsed a web page on Walmart for about five minutes and the phone became very hot and the battery dropped 7% in that time. That is highly unusual for the phone to get very hot just from a few minutes of web browsing. Also five minutes of web browsing would normally use 1% of the battery charge, maybe less.

The usefulness of our iPhones is being severely impacted by the unexplained battery drain as we can only count on a few hours of use - if we carry and don’t actively use the phones. If we interact with the screen, the battery might be empty in as few as 15 minutes.

I also am concerned the severe heating could be damaging the internal circuitry or battery because the phones are obviously getting even hotter in the interior than they are on the outside.

Feb 16, 2020 12:15 PM in response to korn999

Hey korn999,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communites! I see that you have some battery concerns with your iPhone X. I'll be happy to help out, and make sure you're getting the most out of your battery. 

Here's some great steps you can take to see what is taking up the most of your battery usage. You can also see the health of your battery. Check it out under "Battery Health" here: iPhone Battery and Performance. For help with maximizing battery life, check out "Tips for iOS Devices" here: Batteries - Maximizing Performance.

Cheers!

iOS 13.3.1 battery drains quickly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.