You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Too many redirects Safari iOS

This only happens with Instagram. Anytime I’m using mobile data (AT&T) and try going to

Instragram via Safari, I constantly get “Safari cannot open page because too many redirects occurred” - the second I turn on WiFi it works just fine. I have cleared cookies, toggled off prevent site tracking, reset device but nothing works. I predominantly use Instagram app but at times need access via iOS browser and run into this problem. Any suggestion or fix?

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 9:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 1:34 PM

I suspect the folks running the web site have an HTML or JavaScript redirect bug (an infinite loop, in the common parlance), or (maybe) the folks running the network are making modifications in the data stream that they probably should not be making.

If Safari can't open the page because too many redirects occurred - Apple Support

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 14, 2020 1:34 PM in response to yathatryan

I suspect the folks running the web site have an HTML or JavaScript redirect bug (an infinite loop, in the common parlance), or (maybe) the folks running the network are making modifications in the data stream that they probably should not be making.

If Safari can't open the page because too many redirects occurred - Apple Support

Feb 14, 2020 2:09 PM in response to yathatryan

Follow the above discussions, and follow the steps in the previously linked Safari too-many-redirects article.

Failing that, contact Instagram, and report this.

Network maintainers mess up on occasion. Here’s AT&T, with their efforts to sort out a current network mess. This AT&T problem means folks can reach that network service via Wi-Fi, and by using other cellular networks, but not via the AT&T cellular network. Sound familiar?

Web site maintainers mess up, too. That this too-many-redirects test and error even exists should tell you that this too-many-redirects problem arises often enough for the web browser vendors to have implemented a defense against this particular web site error. Otherwise, your browser would get stuck forever, consuming your system resources, spinning around and around until you manually halted the loop in your browser.

If you’ve followed the above-linked sequence around resetting the Safari cache and that’s failed, I’d wager that this is an Instagram bug, either directly, or somewhere within the Instagram content delivery network, and these web sites and these networks can be quite complex.

Feb 13, 2020 10:12 PM in response to yathatryan

Might want to try requesting the mobile site, if you’re defaulting to desktop.

Or try asking for the desktop site, if your version of Safari defaults to mobile.

Check with Instagram and AT&T, too. AT&T have had some oddities in their network from time to time.

You might try resetting your DNS server to 1.1.1.1, 8.8.4.4, 8.8.8.8, and/or 9.9.9.9, on the off chance there’s a DNS error lurking. I’d not expect that to show as too many redirections, but there’s not much else client-side related to this.

Feb 14, 2020 5:27 AM in response to yathatryan

You’re all wrapped up around the differences in the network path.

A web site taking different actions based on source address is not at all unusual, though prolly more commonly encountered involving source IP address access control; allowing and denying access for ranges of IP addresses. Which is where we get folks using VPNs to work around those same blocks, for media content providers.

For this case, why wouldn’t a web site want to provide (slightly) different content in a broadband path and a mobile broadband path? Content and images for mobile, in this case. The web site might also have a deal with a content delivery network, which is another case where your IP address can come into play; trying to keep the content physically located closer within the internet if not within the carrier or ISP network, and provide content tuned for traversing a mobile carrier network.

And then there’s the utter shambles of online advertising and tracking (and sometimes content injection), and who really knows what dreck arises from that.

What many folks think of as a single web server causes your browser to assemble and display a web page within your browser retrieving that data from dozens or hundreds of different and geographically diverse web servers. Then we get into content delivery networks, DDoS protection, spam filtering, DNS, and other fun topics...

Neither the web and IP routing are much like two-cans-and-a-string. Not by a long shot. Tends and hundreds of cans and strings, maybe... Even for what might initially seem like a two-cans-and-string connection...

Too many redirects Safari iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.