Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can we use position tracking feature with Wi-Fi iPad?

Hi! Can we use position tracking feature with Wi-Fi iPad? Or must we use Wi-Fi + cellular?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad mini 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 1:02 PM

Only WiFi & Cellular models of iPad have a built-in GPS receiver.

WiFi Only models of iPad are entirely dependent upon geographical lookup against a database of WiFi networks and public IP Address of the network to which to device is connected via WiFi. As such, without an active network connection, a WiFi Only device cannot determine its location.

However, a WiFi Only iPad can be augmented with an external dedicated GPS Receiver - connected via WiFi.

If using your iPad in a typical GA cockpit, a GPS & Cellular iPad is likely to be the better choice - mindful that the iPad will need good line-of-sight to provide a good positional fix (obstructions will result in whose performance due to increased DOP).

If using a WiFi Only iPad for GA, you will require an external GPS receiver. I would perhaps avoid this approach to protect your avionics from possible interference.

I hope you find this information helpful in informing your decision.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2020 1:02 PM in response to gökhan1625

Only WiFi & Cellular models of iPad have a built-in GPS receiver.

WiFi Only models of iPad are entirely dependent upon geographical lookup against a database of WiFi networks and public IP Address of the network to which to device is connected via WiFi. As such, without an active network connection, a WiFi Only device cannot determine its location.

However, a WiFi Only iPad can be augmented with an external dedicated GPS Receiver - connected via WiFi.

If using your iPad in a typical GA cockpit, a GPS & Cellular iPad is likely to be the better choice - mindful that the iPad will need good line-of-sight to provide a good positional fix (obstructions will result in whose performance due to increased DOP).

If using a WiFi Only iPad for GA, you will require an external GPS receiver. I would perhaps avoid this approach to protect your avionics from possible interference.

I hope you find this information helpful in informing your decision.

Can we use position tracking feature with Wi-Fi iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.