Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Norton antivirus install

I just installed Norton antivirus on my iMac running macOS 10.15.3 and I had to restart to complete the install per the Norton directions. When I restarted, the computer gets hung at the progress bar and will nor reboot. I tried to restart in safe mode, but the same thing happens.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2020 12:53 PM

That's why you don't need Norton crap.

Mac is not Windows.

You need to restore from backup or do a new macOS install.

Read here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

4 replies

Feb 14, 2020 12:50 PM in response to Vector77

Unplug any peripheral devices and try to restart the iMac.

You may have to be patient while the restart and installation finish.

When you get the restart sorted out, you should proceed directly to uninstall Norton AV.

Active anti-virus and cleaner programs are unnecessary on the modern Mac and often do more harm than good.

Peruse the Apple Community posts for verification of this.

Feb 14, 2020 1:36 PM in response to Vector77

Antivirus apps on a Mac are completely unnecessary and offer no benefits at all. All Mac OS needs to remain secure is to be kept up-to-date and otherwise left alone. Adding third party antivirus apps to Mac OS have zero benefits and will likely result in a slow, and unstable Mac.

You will find most experienced users on these forums will completely agree with me. I strongly recommend that you uninstall Norton by following the developers instructions and any other antivirus, cleaning or any other "maintenance" applications.

Norton antivirus install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.