Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I hide other wifi networks so that they don't show up when I click on the wifi icon?

Hi there,

Is it possible to hide wifi networks and to prevent them from showing up on your Wi-Fi dropdown list?

It's possible in Windows using a terminal command i.e. to hide "LearningUK" SSID, I would enter:

netsh wlan add filter permission=block ssid="LearningUK" networktype=infrastructure

Is there a similar Terminal command for MacOS?

Thanks...

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 10:49 AM

Thanks for your reply. Yep, the drop-down menu.

To me, it makes more sense to remove networks you don't have access to. There's no point in displaying networks that are not available to me and that I can NEVER sign on to. In fact, a neighbour has a network called "****sucker", you can guess what the asterisks are!!!

I don't want to see this SSID each time I click on the WiFi icon nor do I want my kids to see it.

So, yes, initially, the networks will/should show up (in case one is at a public coffee shop for example), but I should have the option to delete any network I want.

Hopefully, someone can come up with a Mac version of the Windows command.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2020 10:49 AM in response to Ronasara

Thanks for your reply. Yep, the drop-down menu.

To me, it makes more sense to remove networks you don't have access to. There's no point in displaying networks that are not available to me and that I can NEVER sign on to. In fact, a neighbour has a network called "****sucker", you can guess what the asterisks are!!!

I don't want to see this SSID each time I click on the WiFi icon nor do I want my kids to see it.

So, yes, initially, the networks will/should show up (in case one is at a public coffee shop for example), but I should have the option to delete any network I want.

Hopefully, someone can come up with a Mac version of the Windows command.

Feb 15, 2020 10:40 AM in response to Maz K

I assume you are talking about the Wi-Fi drop down menu bar. I know of no way to do this, but maybe is's possible with a command in the Terminal app. To me it makes sense to show all available networks there in case someone wishes to periodically change their access to the available networks. If you look at System Preferences/Network, and click on Wi-Fi, it only shows the network you are connected to, which is what matters.

How can I hide other wifi networks so that they don't show up when I click on the wifi icon?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.