Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My device has been deleted from Find my iphone

My iphone got stolen. A few days later, i found the location on Find my iphone.

It show the address and everything. I called the police. 20 mins later, one officer call me that they need my ID apple and passwords. i gave it to them without asking.

A few minutes later, my iphone has been deleted from the app Find my Iphone.

I can’t track it anymore. i got an email from Apple support that my Iphone was found this location.

I don’t know if the cops are frauds as I put the lost mode, they can call me from my number ( the theft may call me, tell me that they’re cops in order to get my ID apple)

I don’t know who to ask. The cops aren’t helpful. I know my phone location but unable to get it. Im just a girls, they may have weapons to hurt me! Im so sad

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 4:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 5:00 PM

Hi Christine,

I am so sorry that your iPhone was stolen. You did the right thing by reporting the case to your local police. You even located your iPhone on the Find My app and put it in lost mode. You also may have included your contact information in the event that iPhone was found and that some honest person would call you. I want you to know that I would have taken the exact same steps as you have to find my iPhone.

Here is where things appear to have gone wrong. I believe that the police did not call you back to ask for your Apple ID and password. It is of no help to them. I think it was a coincidence that you got a call back (within 20 minutes after the police report) and I suspect that that call was from the thieves. They saw the lost mode and the contact information and thought to give it a shot to call you and get your Apple ID information. They were successful and then they removed the device from your Apple ID. One question for you - Did you not get a authentication code when someone tried to remove the device from your Apple ID (Two-Factor authentication)? Just wondering unless did not have the 2 factor set up.

I recommend that you call the police back and confirm whether it was they who called you AND change your Apple ID password if you have not done so.

Axel F.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2020 5:00 PM in response to Christine1191

Hi Christine,

I am so sorry that your iPhone was stolen. You did the right thing by reporting the case to your local police. You even located your iPhone on the Find My app and put it in lost mode. You also may have included your contact information in the event that iPhone was found and that some honest person would call you. I want you to know that I would have taken the exact same steps as you have to find my iPhone.

Here is where things appear to have gone wrong. I believe that the police did not call you back to ask for your Apple ID and password. It is of no help to them. I think it was a coincidence that you got a call back (within 20 minutes after the police report) and I suspect that that call was from the thieves. They saw the lost mode and the contact information and thought to give it a shot to call you and get your Apple ID information. They were successful and then they removed the device from your Apple ID. One question for you - Did you not get a authentication code when someone tried to remove the device from your Apple ID (Two-Factor authentication)? Just wondering unless did not have the 2 factor set up.

I recommend that you call the police back and confirm whether it was they who called you AND change your Apple ID password if you have not done so.

Axel F.

Feb 15, 2020 4:50 PM in response to Christine1191

You've been scammed. The police would never call you and ask for your Apple ID and Password, but the thief should would.

Change every single password you had on that phone. Including your Apple ID password, your email passwords, your credit cards, everything. Next, contact your cellular provider and give them a copy of the police report and ask them to Blacklist the phone.

Feb 15, 2020 4:52 PM in response to Christine1191

Either the cops are crooked and scammed you, or somebody pretending to be the cops scammed you. Or that email message from “Apple” was a scam, and you maybe clicked on an embedded link and logged into a fake “Apple” portal, and gave up your password that way.

There’s seemingly no reason for the police to need your Apple ID password, either.

Nobody here can help with this mess, though.

Your options are the local media, contacting higher-level police agencies, and/or whatever local police oversight is available.

You will absolutely want to change your Apple ID password, if you’ve not already done so.

Feb 15, 2020 5:11 PM in response to Christine1191

You got scammed! Sorry, but you did not use "common sense!" You never give out personal information to strangers, like others wrote, why do the cop need Apple ID and password?? You better change out Apple ID and password NOW, before "other things hit the fan." Try going down to local police department and find out what's really going on.😳

My device has been deleted from Find my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.