Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Use Stacks' option under Finder

Has anyone had the problem where the number of items under a heading in "Use Stacks" option does not match the number indicated by the folder? (See pic below). My Screenshot says I have 13 items, but there are only two items within said folder.

iMac with Retina 5K display, 10.15

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 11:03 PM

Well dialabrain, apologies again - You are correct.

At 73, my eyes did not pick that up. I had to use the magnifying glass to see it and even then it was very, very faint (to me, of course).

I've just changed the appearance to "Dark" (it was on "Light") and yes, it is very obvious now.

I think we've covered it all.

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

Michael

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2020 11:03 PM in response to dialabrain

Well dialabrain, apologies again - You are correct.

At 73, my eyes did not pick that up. I had to use the magnifying glass to see it and even then it was very, very faint (to me, of course).

I've just changed the appearance to "Dark" (it was on "Light") and yes, it is very obvious now.

I think we've covered it all.

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

Michael

Feb 15, 2020 9:54 PM in response to dialabrain

My apologies ... let me clarify.

The word "folder" in the words ... When I recheck "Use Stacks", it correctly shows the number within the folder ... I was not meaning that Use Stacks creates a folder in the ordinary sense, but I'm not sure what else to call it.

Having come from El Capitan to Catalina just a week ago, I haven't gone into the nitty gritty yet.

However, I did read the link to Stacks and I found something else interesting.

First, it kind of talks of the icon becoming a folder. Perhaps we could call it a an "icon folder" : )

Second, when I click on an icon, in stacks, the icon folder does not come with a downward pointing arrow.

I've just checked and none of them do. (see example below).

So there is something 'fishy' going on here.

Any clues?

Feb 15, 2020 8:28 PM in response to dialabrain

Hi dialabrain,

When I uncheck "use stacks", only the 2 files are shown.

When I recheck "Use Stacks", it correctly shows the number within the folder.

I assume somewhere in deleting files from that folder, it didn't register that items had been removed.

I removed several files from this folder within a minute - some I deleted, others I put in different folders

Immediate problem solved, but it doesn't resolve why it happened in the first place.

I will keep a watch on this - it may be just one of those odd things of life - a mystery.

'Use Stacks' option under Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.