Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't boot.

My 2011 MacBook Pro won't boot up.

Powers up, Apple logo on grey screen with a progress bar underneath, bar gets half way then re-starts.

I've tried everything Apple suggests and still nothing.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2020 9:02 PM

If your Mac doesn't turn on or start up - Apple Support

Read and follow all the recommended solutions, all the way from the top to the bottom and everything in between.

3 replies

Feb 15, 2020 9:16 PM in response to jwalsh08816

Seen it happen before. In my case the boot volume was corrupted and that's the most likely reason for what you're seeing. There are variations on this including repeated restarting or immediate shutdown after getting to the same point. Some just freeze. About the only way to fix it is to use a new volume. I saved my old drive in hopes I might recover some of the data and cloned a backup (from an external drive) to a new drive.

There are a few things you can try. The easiest would be to install a new drive and then use Internet Recovery to format it and then install MacOS. Then if you want to look around the old drive you could use an external enclosure.

MacBook Pro won't boot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.