Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove MDM configuration profile from iOS device after device is released from MDM

I manage the iOS devices deployed to our organisation. Devices are generally enrolled in MDM by the vendor and given initial configuration through Configurator 2 which also performs auto enrollment and activation.

Profile manager is listed in Apple Business Manager as an authorised server and the option to "Allow this MDM Server to release devices for any new or existing MDM servers you created" is checked.

When a user leaves the organisation, the device needs to be released from MDM and this is normally accomplished by removing the device from Profile Manager on the Mac which, in theory, should also release the Device from Apple Business Manager and the organisation. However the MDM profile remains on the released device and seems to require an administration password to remove it entirely.

As some of our released devices are in the field, we do not wish to issue administrator passwords for the sole purpose of removing a stale MDM profile. Therefore I would appreciate any advice as to how permanent removal might otherwise be accomplished without returning the device to base.

iPad, iOS 11

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 1:25 AM

2 replies

Feb 18, 2020 11:50 AM in response to andywoolford

You need to release from your MDM, then manually go in to ABM and release the device. I can unenroll and reenroll all day long. In fact, I've needed to do that with devices. If removing them from MDM would remove them from ABM, I would be in a world of hurt.

As a side note, Profile Manager is not really the best MDM for a production environment. It is more of a proof of concept. Apple doesn't even use it themselves. I would encourage you to look into something that is really designed for that like Jamf, Mosyle, Fleetsmith, Addigy, AirWatch, Meraki, SimpleMDM, etc.

How to remove MDM configuration profile from iOS device after device is released from MDM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.